Author Topic: Comments on the World of Coins bookshelf  (Read 1620 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Comments on the World of Coins bookshelf
« on: September 26, 2014, 01:59:33 PM »
This thread is to keep the bookshelf thread clean, but still give you the opportunity to discuss it. It is for comments on how the bookshelf works, the rights free status of the books and discussion of which books should be taken up or deleted.

If you want to comment on the use or utility of the content of individual books or series of books, please open a separate thread. These book(s) will be taken up into the bibliography.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline bagerap

• Honorary Member
Re: Comments on the World of Coins bookshelf
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 05:50:22 PM »
If we wish to add a new link, should it be done via this thread?

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 08:08:15 PM »
Izotz will answer that one.

Please keep in mind that the book of the bookshelf reside on the WoC server. There are no links to books on other servers. You can post those on the board "Useful links".

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline izotz

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 11:02:04 PM »
Thanks, Figleaf, there is a lot of useful information there. And I'm sure there will be even more with the help of other members.

As suggested, we are talking about copyright free documents that we want to upload to WoC server. For that matter, send a private message to me specifying how many files they are, and what size. If they are not too big, I will give you an E-mail address and I will upload them for you. For more than, let's say, 10Mb we will try a workaround so that you can upload them yourselves.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 08:43:24 PM »
Three volumes of Forrer added, thanks to constanius.

Peter

Offline izotz

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 11:41:52 PM »
SCWC 21st century correction file (Turkemistan-Tuvalu) added thanks to Pabitra.

Offline izotz

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 11:39:55 PM »
Thanks to Globetrotter, we have now a few more files with the errata from SCWC 40th edition.

40th edition :
Republic of China (4.2Mb)
China - Japanese Puppet States (0.8Mb)
Congo Democratic Republic (1.6Mb)
Panama (3.2Mb)
South Arabia - Spain (4.9Mb)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 02:56:38 PM »
I added a 400 page book on older Lithuanian coins (Author: Ruzas). The pdf can be downloaded from the web site of the Money Museum in Vilnius, but it is hard to find and documentation on these coins is really scarce. Now, the book is just a click away...

Peter

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 09:09:32 PM »
Two more additions. Natko recommended a book on Spanish civil war tokens (author: Ovelleiro). The book was available without rights on the net already. Now it is on the WoC bookshelf. It is in Spanish, but you can copy/paste text in Google translate and the book is very worthwhile.

Dalton and Hamer is still the standard book on the British tokens of the 18th century. Now, thanks to a tip from constanius, you can get a searchable pdf from the WoC bookshelf.

Peter

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 08:48:20 PM »
Maybe an interesting book to add to the WoC bookshelf: The currency and coinage of Gibraltar, 1702-2014 written by Richard JM Garcia MBE and published by the Government of Gibraltar earlier this year.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 03:59:23 PM »
There is a copyright notice in the book. Are you sure it is free of rights?

Peter

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 04:53:20 PM »
There is a copyright notice in the book. Are you sure it is free of rights?

Peter

There is no real need for it to be uploaded on the WoC server so people can download it here, I assume a link to the document on that website will do, although I believe there was another topic for links and the Bookshelf was only for downloading books, but I am not sure about that. The Gibraltar National Mint is owned by the Government of Gibraltar and since the Government of Gibraltar published the book, we can link to that file without a problem.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2016, 05:16:59 PM »
Good points. To get the link in the right place, I amended the intro to the bookshelf and started a list of "don't know" links. This will give us more flexibility where necessary. I'll see if I can contact the people behind the web site and get permission for something better.

Peter