Author Topic: From the end of the USSR to a new Russia  (Read 6896 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: From the end of the USSR to a new Russia
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 08:30:03 PM »
After a few years, the obverse designs of the 1, 2 and 5 rouble coins were changed. The denomination was moved to the top of the coin, whilst the "Bank of Russia" text was moved towards the bottom, but this text now followed the curve of the coin, whereas previously the text at the bottom was horizontal.

The new 2 and 5 rouble designs were issued in 2002, but the new 1 rouble design was not released until 2005.

Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 08:31:10 PM »
Here is a closer look at the new style of design, on the obverse of a couple of 2 rouble coins.

Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 11:42:48 PM »
Not an important quibble, but I think the text Банк России does not follow the edge of the coin. It is rather above an imaginary circle around the bicephalic eagle, making the eagle a bank logo, rather than a national symbol. Buildings housing ministries and government services in Moscow often show such logos. I know one Muscovite who is fond of looking at the heraldic errors the bureaucrats make :)

BTW, Gorbachev's role was indeed at an end after the "White House" revolt was quelled, but he remained quite active. He's something of a hero in Western countries and, since he is not stupid at all, what he did took considerable courage and might well have taken him and his family to an early grave. However, I am told that in Russia, he's being held responsible for all that went wrong during the transition and even in the Yeltsin years.

Here he is in a recent "photo-opportunity"

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 12:13:29 AM »
It is rather above an imaginary circle around the bicephalic eagle, making the eagle a bank logo, rather than a national symbol.

Makes sense - that eagle is the "logo" of the central bank, not of Russia. The only coins (AFAIK) that show the eagle of the Russian Federation are the Sochi 2014 commems. See here for example: http://www.cbr.ru/eng/bank-notes_coins/memorable_coins/current_year_coins/print.asp?file=120221_eng.htm

Interesting photo by the way. :)

Christian

paisepagal

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 01:43:21 PM »
oh dear, looks like Peter's grinding his teeth and plotting something against comrade goby (who seems to be half-asleep ?)  8) 8) .

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 02:55:49 PM »
Tоварищ Gorbachov is smarter half asleep than many people I know fully awake (or pretending to be, anyway.) Yes, those are not false teeth. Thank you, paise :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline milkshakespeare

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 01:39:03 PM »
Mr. Gorbachov is one of my greatest heroes, and I must admit that I'm a bit envious to figleaf for being able to meet him in person  >:D
I'd include the bimetallic 10 rouble coins into the circulating issues - I often spend time in Russia, and during the last few years I've found more than 300 of them. Also, during my latest visit, I found a couple of the "cities of military glory" coins.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2013, 03:30:14 AM »
I am not much for collector coins these days but here is one I had to have.  I have had it maybe 12 years now.

If you have seen me post for a long time you may discern why I had to have it  ;) 

The coin fits in with reply #12 fairly well.

Dale

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2013, 12:24:17 PM »
Liberation of Europe from fascism, the coin proclaims, and the church is in the city cited below: вена. ;)

Peter

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2013, 01:59:02 PM »
Nice city and it is a nice cathedral too. :)
Dale

Liberation of Europe from fascism, the coin proclaims, and the church is in the city cited below: вена. ;)

Peter

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2013, 02:38:06 PM »
Nice city and it is a nice cathedral too. :)

... which one year later appeared on a 100 francs piece. ;)  Since <k> mentioned the latent image on the 10 ruble coin, here is an image (from the central bank website) which shows what you can see depending on the angle.

Christian