Author Topic: Cleaning a red copper coin  (Read 1667 times)

Offline thelawnet

• AC/DC Numismatist.
Cleaning a red copper coin
« on: February 11, 2009, 07:59:14 PM »
Here's the coin I bought:

Here's the one I received:

To be clear, the image is accurate. I tried scanning the coin myself, and it looks the same. A photo from different angles, with or without flash gives different results. I guess the bright light of the scanner hides the ugly stain.

The black stain is VERY noticeable in hand (I can't see the apparent red stain at all).

Is there a chemical I can soak the coin in to clean it, bearing in mind I want to retain the red colour?

Offline Samuel Tan

Re: Cleaning a red copper coin
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 02:41:19 AM »
I hope I am not o late.
Don't spend time to clean it. I assumed it is 1945 Netherlands Indie.
I have many of them, never been cleaned! But as good as it is. It came from the rolls.
So the coins never get exposed until I got them. The paper wrapper was falling apart, so I removed them. It is in (near) Un-circulated condition. I am not a grader, but a collector. I am in the process to scan them for swap.
Samuel Tan

Offline bruce61813

• Meritorious Member
    • Gringgotts Coins
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 05:58:19 PM »
The stain looks like it was against another coin or metal type with moisture present. Just a guess on that part. I would just leave it exposed to air and sunlight to oxidize evenly. Then put it into a conservative, acid free holder. If there are others that are still bright, I would used something like 'airtite capsule' holders. They are airtight and will keep the coin protected, but can be opened fairly easily.

Bruce

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 07:17:24 PM »
Samuel is quite right. If this is a 1945 coin, it's easy and cheap to replace it with one that is immaculate.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.