Author Topic: Variants of the 2 euro CC Belgium 2014 "Red Cross" discovered  (Read 5729 times)

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
Variants of the 2 euro CC Belgium 2014 "Red Cross" discovered
« on: September 20, 2014, 04:50:40 PM »
On the "Muntmanifestatie", a big dutch coin fair, there have been discovered 2 edge variants of the Belgian 2 euro CC "150th Anniversary of the Belgian Red Cross". The normal Belgian edge lettering is *2**2**2**2**2**2*.
Although on the edges of these coins there is written *GOD*ZIJ*MET*ONS and *2*2*2*2*2*2. The first one is the Dutch edge lettering and the second is the one used by Italy, San Marino and Vatican City. It seems that Belgium bought a bunch of left-over 2 euro blanks from their producer, without realizing that on the 2 euro coins of other countries the edge lettering is different.

Dutch edge lettering:

Edge lettering of Italy, San Marino and Vatican City:

Images Munthunter
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 04:18:54 PM by eurocoin »

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
Re: Variants of the 2 euro CC Belgium 2014 "Red Cross" discovered
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 11:58:40 PM »
Now that makes the coin more interesting than I first thought. ;)

Christian

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 07:54:52 AM »
Incredible! :o Any idea how hard to find these Dutch and Italian variants are? Or are they as common as the Belgian ones? Gotta have both of them!

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 08:56:09 AM »
Incredible! :o Any idea how hard to find these Dutch and Italian variants are? Or are they as common as the Belgian ones? Gotta have both of them!

Aditya

I don't know anything about the possible mintage yet, as I also don't know if there are coins in the rolls with this error too.
Maybe the Belgian mint can give the number of left-over blanks that they bought, which can give a pretty good indication.
Of both variants have been found multiple pieces.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 09:05:01 AM »
I don't know anything about the possible mintage yet, as I also don't know if there are coins in the rolls with this error too.
Maybe the Belgian mint can give the number of left-over blanks that they bought, which can give a pretty good indication.
Of both variants have been found multiple pieces.

Thanks! I'm very much interested in the edge variant! Should wait before getting them, though...

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 05:38:48 PM »
These errors have also been found in the rolls. A first estimation that I make, based on figures that I got in from (inter)national dealers is 10.000 coins with the Dutch edge lettering (GOD*ZIJ*MET*ONS*) and 30.000 with the Italian (*2*2*2*2*2*2). The total mintage of this coin in 250.000 pieces. There hasn't (yet) been found an error in the proof coins.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 04:14:32 PM »
The Italian and Dutch veriants (BU coincards) were sold for 121.89 and 136 respectively on eBay yesterday. :o Seems that I'll never be able to afford one... :'(

Aditya
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 04:24:35 PM by Bimat »

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 05:07:42 PM »
I'm now hoping that I'l be able to get the loose unc Dutch and Belgian variants rather than the BU coin cards...BU coin cards are being sold for ~ 150 each which I can not afford! :'(

Aditya

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 11:31:23 PM »
In a Dutch forum I read that relatively few (1 to 2 percent) of the coins have one of these "alien" edge inscriptions. Source: Belgian Mint according to munthunter.nl ...

Christian

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 06:52:56 AM »
In a Dutch forum I read that relatively few (1 to 2 percent) of the coins have one of these "alien" edge inscriptions. Source: Belgian Mint according to munthunter.nl ...

Christian

Yeah well, I guess that figure is based on nothing at all, only 1 or 2 percent sounds like a company that tries to save its reputation and I am pretty sure that these figures do not match with the truth.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 05:30:12 PM by Niels »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 02:10:25 PM »
The Belgian mint knows how many roundels they bought and they know how many pieces they produced in total, so they should have a very precise number of how many pieces with the wrong edge were produced and what percentage of the total that is. If the error was discovered halfway production, they should know how many wrong pieces were not shipped and they should still be able to come up with a very precise number. If they say 1 to 2% (isn't there a direct source?), that indeed sounds suspect. The scenarios I can think of are:
  • Some of the roundels bought were good, but no one knows how many, so they made an estimate, maybe indeed an ass-covering exercise.
  • Some of the coins are in the distribution pipeline, but it's not clear how many can be recovered.
  • Recovered coins with a wrong edge were destroyed without counting.
  • Chaos and confusion reign, so the press dept made up a number.
  • Nobody professes to know, as that may make them responsible for the error, so the hard-pressed press dept invented a number.
Or combinations thereof. These scenario's all amount to negative comments on the Brussels mint.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 07:44:02 PM »
If they say 1 to 2% (isn't there a direct source?), that indeed sounds suspect.

Have not seen any official source yet. This is the Dutch forum post which may be accurate or not. The mint's website has nothing about this, except that many people apparently ordered the coin. Nothing on Facebook either as far as I can tell (but I am not a FB "member"). I still suspect that somebody decided to get more attention for this issue ...

Christian

Offline izotz

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 04:06:50 PM »
I see you assume that there was no trick here.

Imagine that in times of recession you are tired of selling commemorative coins, mintage of a few millions, for their face value. You can decide to lower the mintage down to 250,000, a few of them in rolls, and most of them in coincards for 7 plus shipping expenses, no more than 5 per order. You raise expectations about how low the mintage will be. And then, before you release all of them, you sell a few of them in a fair with a few edge variants. Then you can be sure you will sell all your coincards in the shop, and you will keep your distributors happy as they will be able to sell little by little this "rare" variants on eBay for a good premium.

But that, of course, it's too much to imagine, and can't be applied to such professional mints.

Offline izotz

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 04:09:53 PM »
@Bimat : I must add that if you want to set a high reference value for a "rare" variant that you have, release a couple of them to the market on eBay, and ask somebody to buy them for a high price (or autobid). People may not pay that much for it for the next ones that you release, but they will keep that price in mind as a reference. Specially when others talk about it in the forums.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 05:51:33 PM »
But that, of course, it's too much to imagine, and can't be applied to such professional mints.

Hehe. Actually, whether the mint did this on purpose or not, I do not really care. This is a piece that I do not need to have - low mintage, primarily issued in coincards. Has hardly anything to do with the concept of a circulating commem. The different edge types only make this worse. Not sure what other collectors think about this.

Christian