login

Author Topic: A coprolite-like thingy classified as "worm money"  (Read 712 times)

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
A coprolite-like thingy classified as "worm money"
« on: September 17, 2014, 12:21:50 AM »
This "worm-money" originally came from Thailand.  Looked weird enough for me to want it  ;D.  Can anyone help to classify and/or identify this coin?  From a reputable dealer who provides life-time guarantees, so no worries if it is not legit. BTW, if you don't know, coprolites are fossilized dung, typically from dinosaurs :)...

Size: 25x19mm
Wgt: 40.53

Thanks,

Ram

« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 12:26:37 AM by Figleaf »
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: A coprolite-like thingy classified as "worm money"
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 06:00:14 PM »
I know that "worm money" is the literal translation of "Pod Duang". However, that's the Thai name for what we in the West are used to call "bullet money". Never seen anything in this shape though. There is however a remote posibility that fossilized dinosaur dung would also contain fossilized worms  ??? :D

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 06:13:19 PM »
I think that is part of a front suspension spring I lost from my 1960's Triumph Herald   ;D  ;D
Vic

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 06:49:37 PM »
Thanks guys.  I am aware of the Pod Duang/Bullet Money of Thailand, but this one is mysterious.  Here is another one that I found on the web:

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 11:05:50 PM »
Ram, the link to the image is now broken...
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
    • Austrian Coins, Tokens and Medals
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 11:50:38 PM »
I have seen plenty of Dinosaur Coprolites...never saw one look like that  :)
Dale

This "worm-money" originally came from Thailand.  Looked weird enough for me to want it  ;D.  Can anyone help to classify and/or identify this coin?  From a reputable dealer who provides life-time guarantees, so no worries if it is not legit. BTW, if you don't know, coprolites are fossilized dung, typically from dinosaurs :)...

Size: 25x19mm
Wgt: 40.53

Thanks,

Ram

« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 10:46:22 AM by Figleaf »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 11:01:17 AM »
Two things arouse my suspicion. First, it looks too regular too be a natural product. That would give the lie to the story that it is animal excrement. There is a fruit in South-East Asia called lychee (different spellings exist), which is also called dragon's eye. Not sure how that enhances consumer appreciation, but it shows how innocent objects can obtain fanciful names.

Second, there are no references whatsoever on the net to "worm money", unless you count this thread with a photo that rings a bell. I read that thread as "yes there's such a story, no it's not true."

Peter
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 07:44:49 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 12:01:14 PM »
From Unisquare

POD DUANG OLD MONEY COIN THAI KING RAMA I ,SUKOTHAI SILVER BULLET
Around 700 years ago, the Thais in the Sukhothai Kingdom (the first capital of Thailand dating from the 13th to 15th century A.D.) used a style of money which had a unique and very unusual shape as the main medium of exchange. This money had a shape resembling a kind of worm or in Thai, “Duang” and thus were called “Pod Duang”.

Foreigners, on the other hand likened the money’s shape to those of bullets used in the olden days and thus called the money "Bullet Money". This form of money played a very important role in the Thai monetary system for more than 500 years before it was replaced by the modern, flat coinage

So somewhat different to the first image. ???
Malcolm

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 07:41:33 PM »
Who knows!??!  Its still weird looking and I have yet to find an answer.  Maybe I should give up and return the item...

Offline Henk

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 09:07:33 PM »
I looked for Worm Money in: ODD & CURIOUS AND TRADITIONAL MONEY BY CHARLES OPITZ (2011 edition), the standard in the field I would say! No worm money is listed. It is also not listed in either the Einzig or the Hingston Quiggin book on primitive money.

Offline bgriff99

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 02:32:38 AM »
Have you determined what the material is?   

Offline Globetrotter

• Honorary Member
  • As my whimsy takes me....
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 10:20:18 AM »
From Unisquare

POD DUANG OLD MONEY COIN THAI KING RAMA I ,SUKOTHAI SILVER BULLET
Around 700 years ago, the Thais in the Sukhothai Kingdom (the first capital of Thailand dating from the 13th to 15th century A.D.) used a style of money which had a unique and very unusual shape as the main medium of exchange. This money had a shape resembling a kind of worm or in Thai, “Duang” and thus were called “Pod Duang”.

Foreigners, on the other hand likened the money’s shape to those of bullets used in the olden days and thus called the money "Bullet Money". This form of money played a very important role in the Thai monetary system for more than 500 years before it was replaced by the modern, flat coinage

In France this is the favourite form of a croissant, if straight it's made with butter, if half moo, shaped it's not butter used in the making....

So somewhat different to the first image. ???
Ole

If you're interested in coin variants please find some English documentation here:
https://sites.google.com/site/coinvarietiescollection/home
and in French on Michel's site (the presentations are not the same):
http://monnaiesetvarietes.esy.es/

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 10:45:58 AM »
I rather think you meant:

In France this is the favourite form of a croissant, if straight it's made with butter, if half moo, shaped it's not butter used in the making....

I/o inserting into my quote!
Malcolm

Offline bgriff99

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 03:39:34 AM »
This is a steinkern.    German for stone core.    It is a fossil cast of a shell, which I found along the Chagrin River in Ohio, 50 years ago.    Diameter 22mm, Devonian shale strata.     

The term refers to any cast of a shell, but in practice now is used for ones like this, which cannot be taxonomically named past gastropod.   In some places coiled pieces are common enough to be picked up, and were used in the past as strung ornaments.    I think that's what yours is, painted long ago blue-green, then yellow.