Author Topic: Smallest ever UK coin  (Read 767 times)

Offline jameso

Smallest ever UK coin
« on: September 16, 2014, 05:59:15 PM »
So it seems the new Britannia coin takes the art of coin making into uncharted territory! Pass the magnifying glass  ;D

http://lovecoins.co.uk/smallest-uk-coin-ever-royal-mint-britannia/

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Smallest ever UK coin
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 08:58:58 PM »
First, it's not a coin. It's an instruments for small time "investors" to get into gold, just like the Kruger rand and its ilk. Whether a country should encourage such uninformed speculation in order to wring money out of its own subjects is a moral question that answers itself.

Second, a quick glance in "Coins of England & the United Kingdom" yielded several smaller coins, though none were struck after 1707. The defining factor is therefore not "smallest" but "UK", as earlier coins apparently don't count. I would call that misleading. Whether a government mint should use marketing hype like "smallest ever UK coin" is open for debate.

Third, I missed the argument on what the benefits of super-small pieces are. I do remember French 18th century travellers writing about super-small Asian coins as "always slipping between your fingers, rolling around and hiding between floor boards" and the complaints of foreign tourists about the now defunct 10 cent coins (15 mm) of the Netherlands. Or was this thing perhaps not planned with public convenience in mind? ;D

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 09:55:07 PM »
At least they are not doing what some unscrupulous mints do, that is issue a small coin, say for Tristan da Cunha, and make virtually no mention of the size, other than to tell you it's solid gold..

http://www.londonmintoffice.org/coins-by-metal/gold-coins/churchill-1-4-sovereign-60th-anniversary

Notice the "King's shilling" they are selling, dates from the first world war at the "exceptional price" of £49.95.  I agree it is an exceptional price, but not quite for the reasons they state.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 10:09:12 PM »
 :) :) :)

How can you accuse a tacky, tasteless metal pusher of spouting hyperventilating marketing spam, let alone compare it with the venerable Royal Mint. >:D

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.