Author Topic: "modern fabrication" Mysore fanam now catalogued in KM...  (Read 776 times)

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
"modern fabrication" Mysore fanam now catalogued in KM...
« on: September 02, 2014, 11:00:19 AM »
Fakes and "modern fabrication" fanams have appeared in big amounts in years 1975-80 and proposed for sale worldwide.
This coin showing an elephant with a howdah, even nice, is one of them, described by Hans Herrli in his well known and well made "Gold Fanams" published in 2006.
Reported under n 12.04.01 as a modern fabrication of the "infamous workshop M" (M because specialized in Mysore fakes and most probably located in Bangalore).

It's highly surprising to see it now catalogued in the last Indian edition of the "South Asian Coins" by KM = ref KM 170  (40 to 80 $ from VF to XF grade)...
It's value is no more than its gold content (0,35g..)
May be is it because too much of these have been sold in public auctions?? Is there behind some lobby??
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: "modern fabrication" Mysore fanam now catalogued in KM...
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 11:23:48 AM »
Thank you, saro. The data base that KM uses for all its catalogues is updated by volunteers. Some are professional dealers, others advanced collectors. The editors are not well placed to judge the content delivered by the contributors.

I have taken the liberty to inform the editors of your findings. I hope you don't mind.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 02:05:50 PM »
Thank you Peter for that.
Bernard

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 05:28:36 PM »
Fakes and "modern fabrication" fanams have appeared in big amounts in years 1975-80 and proposed for sale worldwide.
This coin showing an elephant with a howdah, even nice, is one of them, described by Hans Herrli in his well known and well made "Gold Fanams" published in 2006.
Reported under n 12.04.01 as a modern fabrication of the "infamous workshop M" (M because specialized in Mysore fakes and most probably located in Bangalore).

It's highly surprising to see it now catalogued in the last Indian edition of the "South Asian Coins" by KM = ref KM 170  (40 to 80 $ from VF to XF grade)...
It's value is no more than its gold content (0,35g..)
May be is it because too much of these have been sold in public auctions?? Is there behind some lobby??
You are spot one with this one. The new Indian edition of South Asian Coin and Paper Money sadly fails in a lot of areas this being one of them. The new book also lost a bunch of pictures for some princely states coins.
For fanams I use Hans Herrli's book 'Gold Fanams' which I believe is a good resource for even a novice collector who is interested in collecting fanams. The fakes and modern intimations section in the book covers most of these modern fakes.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 11:14:50 AM »
I received a reply from our member tsm:

Hans Herrli was a contributor for the SCWC for many years. His book was probably used in years past, but so much updating was done for the Indian Edition of the new South Asian catalog this one must have slipped by. I have deleted it from our new Librios database, from which we are currently pulling all new print publications, but which has not gone live on the NumisMaster website just yet. Current live launch of the new website is set for January 2015.

This fantasy will no longer figure in any KM catalogue.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 11:31:24 AM »
Great thanks Peter for your efforts and efficiency !