Loaned for amusement

Started by malj1, August 23, 2014, 12:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

I wonder at the purpose of this piece, was it Loaned for amusement only or another purpose as it has been combined with a penny.

A dab of white paint in the centre before it was joined!

I have seen a few of these offered for sale recently usually at inflated prices this one came more cheaply in a job lot.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

There is a fairground game called tractor or pusher. Insert a penny through a slot. It is bulldozed to previously inserted pennies, shoving them towards an open slot. Play it well and some pennies will drop. There are also slots on the side, where the penny drops for the game owner.

After decimalisation, the game owners were running out of pennies, so they personalised them. The pennies are now replaced by tokens or unstamped planchets.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

That is no doubt is the reason for these Anonymous penny & halfpenny tokens being issued but I have yet to hear of any place using these.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

My fun fair days are long over, but I used them as a youngster. At first, the stand owners used stickers. Next, they stamped or engraved initials in the coins. I have also seen pennies flattened on one side, but not the inlaid pennies you show. Fun fair people tend to do their own repairs and they have impressive tools. You could see them early in the morning, when there were hardly any customers around.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.