Author Topic: MUGHAL: Jahangir, AR rupee, Ahmadabad, AH1027 year 13, KM-149.4 Var.  (Read 852 times)

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
 Mughal: Jahangir,  AR Rupee (11.42 gm; 21 mm), Ahmadabad, 1027 AH/ RY 13, "Inayat" couplet with slight difference in arrangement of letters and regnal year at the top of the obverse instead of the far left. KM-149.4 Var. BMC 475 var. A rare variety of which I have seen only two other examples come up for sale in various auctions. The coin is perfectly centered with some nice old-cabinet toning. There is a minor flan flaw on the obverse which is barely seen with naked eyes and does not detract from the beauty of the coin. If you guys have seen more please add your inputs.

Ex.THE STILLER COLLECTION OF INDIAN COINS. ( Baldwin's Auction, Auction 47, Lot 705 , 25. September 2006.)
Ex. Stephen Album List 79 (September 1991), 105.

Here is an example of a regular "Inayat" couplet rupee with same date and year combination.

Thanks
Bhushan
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 05:35:29 PM by PeaceBD »

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: MUGHAL: Jahangir, AR rupee, Ahmadabad, AH1027 year 13, KM-149.4 Var.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 07:41:37 AM »
Bhushan, thanks for have posted this. It gave me a goal. I now have one in my collection. It appears that this is the first design of the 'Inayat' couplet coins minted. We have these coins which are fairly scarce (or may be rare) and then we have the regular coins with Inayat couplet till 1033 / 19. (I have now all but 3 date combinations in my collection). This is the last series of coins of Ahmedabad in name of Jahangir. We then have the coins in name of Noor Jahan.

Regards,
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 09:29:49 AM »
Congratulations with your new acquisition, Amit. It must be increasingly difficult to add to your already splendid collection of Ahmedabad coins. You join pieces of history into a pictory of history.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 11:06:43 AM »
Thanks Peter. Yes. It is now becoming increasingly difficult to add coins. While I have most types (I miss Nur Jahan rupees and I have not ventured in to collecting Zodiacs as yet), even getting specific dates is increasingly difficult.

However, this quest of coins of one mint has led me to find quire a few unlisted types and many unlisted date coins. That is the real fun. Of course there are those times when a particular missing date does come up but I am either tied up financially or am looking at some other high value coin and I am forced to miss out.

Amit

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 05:16:25 PM »
wonderful coin Amit ji!!
Dr.Abhishek

Offline Abhay

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 06:06:16 AM »
Thanks Peter. Yes. It is now becoming increasingly difficult to add coins. While I have most types (I miss Nur Jahan rupees and I have not ventured in to collecting Zodiacs as yet), even getting specific dates is increasingly difficult.

However, this quest of coins of one mint has led me to find quire a few unlisted types and many unlisted date coins. That is the real fun. Of course there are those times when a particular missing date does come up but I am either tied up financially or am looking at some other high value coin and I am forced to miss out.

Amit

Amit, we are sailing in the same boat, the difference is that you are sailing in Ahmadabad, while I am in Gwalior.

I have been able to collect most of the years for the Mughal Coins minted on Gwalior Fort.

But still, many new varieties do turn up often, with minor variations, new mintmarks, new dates etc.

You are very correct in saying that sticking to one particular mint/city/region has its own fun.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 09:29:58 AM »
Amit, we are sailing in the same boat, the difference is that you are sailing in Ahmadabad, while I am in Gwalior.
Abhay, I got my inspiration from you.

I have been able to collect most of the years for the Mughal Coins minted on Gwalior Fort.

But still, many new varieties do turn up often, with minor variations, new mintmarks, new dates etc.

You are very correct in saying that sticking to one particular mint/city/region has its own fun.

Abhay
Yes. That is the fun. So much new turns up......... and the thrill of finding something that is not known or listed gives a high.

Amit

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 09:48:53 AM »
But finding new information is not enough. It has to be documented and published, or else someone else will have to do your work again and progress is lost.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 02:16:59 AM »
But finding new information is not enough. It has to be documented and published, or else someone else will have to do your work again and progress is lost.
Peter
Yes, Peter. That is the aim. But at first there has to be enough to write about and the information needs to me complete. Till such time, the WoC and ZENO database are perfect places to upload new information.

Amit

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 12:28:12 AM »
Bhushan, thanks for have posted this. It gave me a goal. I now have one in my collection. It appears that this is the first design of the 'Inayat' couplet coins minted. We have these coins which are fairly scarce (or may be rare) and then we have the regular coins with Inayat couplet till 1033 / 19. (I have now all but 3 date combinations in my collection). This is the last series of coins of Ahmedabad in name of Jahangir. We then have the coins in name of Noor Jahan.

Regards,
Amit bhai , congrats on your acquisition. I think this variant is pretty rare. I have not seen another one of this type come up for auction in international auctions since I acquired this piece. Best of luck with completing your date series on Inayat coins. I am still looking for a good Nur Jahan and Jahangir Ahmedabad specimen.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2020, 03:49:42 AM »
...... I am still looking for a good Nur Jahan and Jahangir Ahmedabad specimen.
So am I. I have been offered / have seen a few for sale but the condition was poor. So let them pass.

Amit bhai , congrats on your acquisition. I think this variant is pretty rare. I have not seen another one of this type come up for auction in international auctions since I acquired this piece.
I fully agree. I had not seen one before I accidentally came across your coin here while looking for some information nor have I seen another one thereafter.

It is only an eagle eye that can pick up such gems. Did you see the Khambayat rupee of Aurangzeb struck with the gold die, recently posted on Fb? The first one ever spotted AFAIK.

....... Best of luck with completing your date series on Inayat coins.
Thanks. Keeping my fingers crossed. The missing ones may not be rare so I am fairly optimistic. The Corona Lock Down has delayed the pursuit.

Amit