Author Topic: Jahangir Zodiac Coin  (Read 2279 times)

Offline abhijatsharma

Jahangir Zodiac Coin
« on: August 03, 2014, 08:35:46 PM »
Dear Figleaf,

Hope all is well.

Im due to receive the attached coin by consignment - and am keen to identify if this is genuine or not. May I seek the expertise on this forum to help me.

SInce the coin isnt here, I dont have a weight and diameter data - I hope that wont be a big problem.

many thanks in advance!

rg,

Abhijat

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Jahangir Zodiac Coin
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 08:48:34 PM »
I have not enough expertise to do that, Abhijat. I am sure others will chime in, though. However, you can do it yourself also. You need scales, a magnet, callipers, a picture (higher resolution is better) of a coin known to be genuine and a friendly jeweller. This is the procedure:
  • Check if the coin has the correct weight. This coin is not machine-struck, so diameter may vary, but not by much. This coin is very well struck.
  • The coin should not be magnetic, because silver isn't.
  • If you don't trust your own judgement, ask a friendly jeweller if it's good silver. Tell him not to clean it for you. :)
  • Check the edge (the third dimension of the coin) for irregularities. Beware of seams and strategically placed large pieces of dirt. Take dirt off with a wooden toothpick if necessary.
  • Compare an enlarged picture of the coin with your picture of the genuine coin.
That should take care of 99% of the common forgeries. If you still have doubts, take it to a numismatic museum or a dealer you trust. If you are still unhappy, send it back.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 10:20:06 PM »
Also not an expert on these. But see this thread for another specimen.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 12:08:47 AM »
It looks very suspicious to me, these coins of Jahangir usually have far better calligraphy than the coin above & also ornaments in the field

Here is a genuine one of Oesho's from another WoC page to compare
Vic

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 12:32:28 AM »
I would assume that Oesho's coin is genuine. If so, the coin offered to Abhijat is a fake. Count the number of sun rays to find out why. Also, the text below the ram (?) is missing.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 02:51:11 AM »
Dear Figleaf,

Hope all is well.

Im due to receive the attached coin by consignment - and am keen to identify if this is genuine or not. May I seek the expertise on this forum to help me.

SInce the coin isnt here, I dont have a weight and diameter data - I hope that wont be a big problem.

many thanks in advance!

rg,

Abhijat

Abhijat, this coin is definietly a fake. Look how crude the calligraphy and the whole design is. There are a lot of high quality fakes in this series but this is a pretty poor fake.

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 05:29:41 AM »
Dear Abhijat,

Surely a fake without any doubt. Just check the date on your coin - AH 1030, whereas these Zodiac coins were minted only in Year AH 1068. So, as Bhushan says, this is a rather very very poor fake, where even the date is not correct.

Another coin of the same type in high grade- courtesy Classic Numismatic Gallery Auction site.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 06:15:17 AM »
Looks like a typical eBay India fake...

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 08:38:49 AM »
A fake indeed...and if you look at the mintname on this coin : "Agra" is wrongly written : no stroke on letter "G" (just a curious ornament?) + a dot under it which gives "Abrah.."
It is quite impossible today  to find a genuine silver zodiacal coin in high grade like this one, and not at all on eBay !
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)