Bahmanis of the Deccan, AE Gani, Hamayun Shah.

Started by 09wakharet, July 31, 2014, 04:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

09wakharet

Hello everyone, and thanks in advance!

This coin has a diameter of about 23 mm.

capnbirdseye

Vic

09wakharet

Thank you very much, but do you know any further details ie ruler who issued it? I assume that since most of the inscription is visible, there are more identifiable details.

capnbirdseye

Not certain but I think it's probably Ahmad Shah II (1435-1457), the date on these are below a line across the bottom & just out of sight on your top image
Vic

09wakharet

Thank you very much, this was very helpful!

THCoins

I am no match for Vic's expertise, but i would like to make a different suggestion for the Bahmani ruler.
If this specimen weights 15-16 grams i believe it is a Gani of Ala al-Din Hamayun Shah 862-866AH (=1458-1461AD)
Reference: G/G BH97. Could this be correct Vic ?

capnbirdseye

Quote from: THCoins on August 02, 2014, 08:41:27 AM
I am no match for Vic's expertise, but i would like to make a different suggestion for the Bahmani ruler.
If this specimen weights 15-16 grams i believe it is a Gani of Ala al-Din Hamayun Shah 862-866AH (=1458-1461AD)
Reference: G/G BH97. Could this be correct Vic ?

Yes, your right, I did say I wasn't certain  :D back home now & I trawled through my collection & see I have more than one of this same coin, I must put them in the database
Vic

09wakharet

Thank you very much capnbirdseye and THCoins, I'm still very new to this and it was amazing to see you both at work

capnbirdseye

Quote from: 09wakharet on August 02, 2014, 05:46:39 PM
Thank you very much capnbirdseye and THCoins, I'm still very new to this and it was amazing to see you both at work

You have to be aware with Sultanate & Mughal coins & hand struck coins in general that coins of the same type will rarely be identical & will show different parts of the die which is invariably much bigger than the flan. Also, unlike machine struck coins you will see numerous slight variations because the dies were hand engraved & lots would be used over the course of a year.
It's even possible to tell if a coin was struck from new or worn dies also because after numerous strikes with a heavy hammer the dies begin to flatten & spread so the calligraphy becomes wider & shallower
Vic

RG

Adding my specimen. Picture by seller. He gave me refernce as GG#BH98. Isn't it a BH97? Weight 16.31 grams

mkm1968

BH 98 - 2/3 gani, according to your weight, you have 1 gani (standard weight 16.0-16.5 grams) - BH 197