Author Topic: Third Reich Germany Schiller 5 reichsmark proof, real or fake ?  (Read 1392 times)

Offline reichspfennig_lt

Hello, anyone can say if this coin is real ?

« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 07:35:10 PM by eurocoin »

Offline Harpagon Coins

Re: Third Reich Germany Schiller 5 reichsmark proof, real or fake ?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 08:10:06 PM »
The rim between 13:00 and 16:00 on the reverse is a little suspicious for a proof!

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 03:17:55 PM »
Ah. Now I see what you mean. Hard to judge from a picture. It may just be the light or the way the picture is cropped.

If the picture is fair, this kind of effect could occur after the collar snapped. If you have the coin in hand, is the edge OK, or is it vague or (partially) absent? Weight should be correct, but size should be a fraction of a millimetre too large.

Proofs are inspected with a magnifier, often twice (just after striking and just before packaging), so this should have been picked up, but people are fallible.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 03:26:36 PM »
I found a difference between the coin in the auction and another piece that was sold at Heritage Auctions, I thought that this was evidence that this was possibly a fake but searching further it seems that almost 50% of the coins of this typt that I came across is the first and the other half the other version so I assume it is a variant. It's about the C in "Friedrich", it has nothing to do with the quality as I found both normal version and Proof coins of both variants.

I was wondering, why do you think it may be a fake coin ? I don't say well-known auction companies can't make mistakes but..
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 03:27:49 PM by eurocoin »

Offline reichspfennig_lt

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 05:15:30 PM »

I was wondering, why do you think it may be a fake coin ? I don't say well-known auction companies can't make mistakes but..

No exact reason, just wanted to check what everyone else are thinking about this coins authenticity before any bidding.

Offline Harpagon Coins

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 07:39:24 PM »
I feel with Weimar coinage of "star status" such as the Schiller 2RM you're showing, you should be pretty safe from fakes if you're bidding on it through an auction house. The snapped collar is more than likely to be the culprit for that edge, although, I'm still surprised that it passed inspection.

As figleaf says, people are fallible. I'd say that this peculiarity might allow you to take it away at a reasonable price!

All the best!

Roman