News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Akbar half dam Khitta Awadh

Started by saro, July 19, 2014, 12:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saro

Copper / 9,53g
This coin is similar to one of the 2 dams of Jaunpur shown as ref C1 by A. Liddle, with a cross in center.
This is a half dam I think.
the word "Khitta" (district) is clear on reverse , may be: "Dar al (Khalifat ?) Khitta +??
Obverse gives :"...bad Shah Muhammad? ..
I don't see a date?

I would be please to have confirmation of its attribution and to know more about the full legend.
Many thanks for that.
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

abhinumis

Dear Bernard sir,
That is quite a rare coin.. But the mint name is dar al khilafat khitta Awadh.. One can see the 'Alif' on the other side of the mint mark.. Very good
Dr.Abhishek

saro

Thousand thanks Dear Abhinumis for this attribution, it's very clear for me now !

saro

Thank you for the link, it's very useful !
On my 1/2 dam, it seems that we haven't the date in persian, what do you think of the legend with "Muhammad" in center ?
(the emperor's full name and tittles are never present on copper dams)

saro

We should never say "never"... I realize that the full emperor's name is also present, at least, on some early copper issues of Jaunpur & Khairabad ( : "Jalal al-din Muhammad Akbar badshah").

This is the case for this half dam of Awadh (once more : thanks to Dr Abhishek !) which is of the same type as Valentine's dam n°181.

"zarb dar al-khalifat khita + Awadh / Jalal al-din Muhammad Akbar"

Figleaf

Splendid teamwork! Well done, gentlemen.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Coinsforever

Congrats Bernard sir for fantastic discovery & excellent find.

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

abhinumis

Akbar's full name is written for early issues of Jaunpur, Khairabad, Mangarh type(with swastik) and Gwalior(suri style) as far as I remember now.. See you have Awadh also now..
Dr.Abhishek