Author Topic: Andorra's First Commemorative €2 Coin?  (Read 788 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Andorra's First Commemorative €2 Coin?
« on: July 18, 2014, 08:04:52 PM »
There have been rumors for a while that Andorra will not only issue euro circulation coins this year but also a commemorative €2 coin. Well, the circulation pieces have so far been vaporware ;) so why not add another vague rumor ...

According to this topic in a Dutch forum, there will be a €2 piece dedicated to the "30th anniversary of the end of Radio Andorra broadcasts". Sounds strange (also because of this: "The European Central Bank is authorized to issue up to 500,000 coins" which does not make any sense), but maybe that is what they want to commemorate.

Christian

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
Re: Andorra's First Commemorative €2 Coin?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 07:35:14 PM »
Both the design and theme are fake according to a press officer of the Andorran government, Mr. Bellpuig seems to be a very good liar.
Source: http://www.numismatica-visual.es/

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 11:56:33 PM »
It's getting absurd. ::)  Thanks for the info! The source (Jordi Bellpuig, Andorran Coin Wholesalers) even wanted it to appear more authentic. Have a look at this file ... looks kind of official, doesn't it?

Errm, no. That is not from the EU's Official Journal but something made up, "OJ style". Apparently all this was a private suggestion made and (maybe) sent to the ECB. We should keep two important things in mind though:

* Provided that the info which Jesus/jeroja6 posted at Numismática Visual, an Andorran €2 commem is indeed planned. Different theme though; further details "TBA".
* As he writes, the reason for this is the lack of communication. The andorra-euro.com website is a joke ("latest news" from mid-2013), and government sites such as govern.ad do not provide much information either. Jesus puts it this way: "el secreto y el hermetismo respecto a estas emisiones es máxima" ...

And that I understood right anyway even though my Spanish is lousy.

Christian

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 06:31:21 AM »
That is the same as I thought, I can't understand why someone would do something like this..
I've attached the file again, Munthunter deleted it.