Jaipur, Y 21a, nazarana Rupee 1939, RY 18

Started by Figleaf, January 25, 2009, 05:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

This is a silver coin, 38 mm. I hope Overlord can work his magic with it ...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

BC Numismatics

Peter,
  Your Jaipuri silver 1 Rupee coin is dated 1929.It was struck upon the order of Maharajah Sawai Man Singh II (ruled 1922-49/70).

Aidan.

Overlord

I'll take a shot at it, but I need help with the breakup of the following words:

Obverse: Ba-Ahdi, Inglistan, and Shesham.
Reverse: Maharajadhiraj and Singhji.

The second image is the obverse.

Obverse: Zarb Sawai Jaipur, Sanat 1939, Ba-Ahdi Shahhanshah Sultanat Inglistan George Shesham; Struck (at) Sawai Jaipur (in the) year 1939, by permission of the King of Kings [Emperor] (of) England, George (the) Sixth

Reverse Sanat 18 Jalus Manus Maimanat Maharajadhiraj Sawai Man Singhji; Year 18 of the reign associated with prosperity, King of Kings Sawai Man Singhji.

BC Numismatics

Amit,
  The date on that coin looks like 1929,not 1939.

Aidan.

Overlord

Quote from: BC Numismatics on January 26, 2009, 10:12:57 AM
Amit,
  The date on that coin looks like 1929,not 1939.
Aidan.
Aidan, I agree with your observation that the number does look like "2", but it is in fact a "3". Try this example, which shows the number a bit more clearly. This coin is indeed Y21a (1939, RY 18), as Peter put it.

Overlord

Quote from: Figleaf on January 25, 2009, 05:32:37 PM
I hope Overlord can work his magic with it ...
Peter
No magic . I would have taken years on this one without Oesho's excellent posts in this thread. Reminds me of the following joke:

A film crew was on location deep in the desert. One day an Old Indian went up to the director and said, "Tomorrow rain."

The next day it rained.

A week later, the Indian went up to the director and said, "Tomorrow storm."

The next day there was a hailstorm.

"This Indian is incredible," said the director. He told his secretary to hire the Indian to predict the weather. However, after several successful predictions, the old Indian didn't show up for two weeks.

Finally the director sent for him. "I have to shoot a big scene tomorrow," said the director, "and I'm depending on you. What will the weather be like?"

The Indian shrugged his shoulders. "Don't know," he said. "Radio broken."

Figleaf

Most excellent job, Overlord. Thank you! On a practical level you may have a point about your ability to read these coins, but on a more exalted level you are doing something extraordinary, that far surmounts a mere party trick, for appreciative eyes, which is otherwise known as magic ;D

Aidan, this coin was designed and executed with particular care, but it still had to contend with a problem of all Mughal coins. Those who designed the coins were muslem. In order to be able to read the koran they had to understand Arabic writing. Those who cut the dies were quite likely to be hindu. They may at best have had a passing knowledge of Arabic writing. To understand their problem, try copying some Chinese characters. You can do it, but you'll have a hard time. Likewise, the die cutters tried, but sometimes failed to form the characters adequately.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Overlord

I agree with your point Peter, and it is likely to be valid in the case of this coin. However, I believe that each series also has its own quirks, which affect readabity (particularly for people not thoroughly familiar with the language) to varying degrees. Consider the "invisible" Sin (between the Lam of Al and the Lam of Sultan) on the obverse of this coin. In order to read Sultan, you will need it, but the engraver hasn't shown it. Or the quite abstract Shin Alif and He that spell out Shah on this one. Talking of numbers, the majestic "4" on Humayun's coppers comes to mind:

Such vagaries are picked up by more experienced people with ease, but land people like me in trouble  :P.