Author Topic: Monetary system in East prussia in 16-19th centuries  (Read 607 times)

Offline reichspfennig_lt

Monetary system in East prussia in 16-19th centuries
« on: July 01, 2014, 02:10:54 PM »
Is there any books or articles in English about monetary system in East Prussia in 16-19th centuries ? Also is there any literature in English about foreign coins circulation in this part of Germany in 16-19th centuries ? I'm looking for answers to questions like "What kind of foreign coins were circulating ?", "Why these coins ?", "What was the attitude of local government to these foreign coins ?" and so on. 

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Monetary system in East prussia in 16-19th centuries
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 05:29:10 PM »
Nothing in English I am aware of, but I can answer some of your questions to some extent.

The attitude of the government was largely (insert vulgar noise here.) The concept of legal tender wasn't invented yet. The only thing that worried them was lightweight imitations. As more and more people were literate, the problem was getting smaller. For more information, get info on official tariffs (lists of what each coin would be worth in terms of the currency of account. They often mention popular circulating foreign coins.

The foreign coins circulating were those of areas East Prussia had intensive trade with. Think of Poland, Russia and the Baltic countries, but also Scandinavia, Bavaria, Saxony and Austria. A smattering of British, Dutch and Spanish coins. The Southern German states would have an advantage, as they circulated at a fixed rate. For more info, find descriptions of coin finds in the area. A German language metal detector forum will help also.

The usual suspects of bringing in foreign coins are merchants, sailors and soldiers in that order.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline reichspfennig_lt

Re: Monetary system in East prussia in 16-19th centuries
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 06:50:28 PM »
Thanks for info ;)