Keladi Nayakas of Ikkeri: Half Pagoda, Gandabherunda type, ca 1500 AD

Started by mitresh, July 01, 2014, 09:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitresh

Keladi Nayakas of Ikkeri, 1500 AD, Gold Half Pagoda, 1.6g, 10mm, Gandabherunda type

source: Coin India
The Keladi Nayakas of Ikkeri were feudatories of Vijayanagar, ruling in the eastern parts of Karnataka, who grew powerful enough to issue their own coinage. It seems all of their coinage was issued in the name of the founder of the dynasty, Sadasiva Nayaka, and drew inspiration from the Uma-Maheswar coinage of Hari Hara II. Their rule lasted for over 200 years. They were defeated by Haidar Ali and their kingdom was absorbed into the Kingdom of Mysore. Much of the gold for Haidar Ali's coinage came from his plundering of the Ikkeri treasury and his coin type also clearly followed the design of the Ikkeri pagodas.

Since Achyutaraya (1530-42 AD) was the first king to put the mythical gandaberunda, or double-headed eagle, on his coins, it is safe to assume that the featured coin was issued post Achyutaraya's reign in mid-15th Century or later.

See here and here for Achyutraya's Gandabherunda issue and to read more about the mythology of the Gandabherunda.

See the Wiki link here for more on Nayakas of Keladi.

In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

mitresh

It seems the above may not be an issue of the Keladi Nayaks of Ikkeri after all as they are known to have issued only Shiva-Parvati type pagodas later adopted by Haider Ali.

I have queried the auctioneer's description provided for this coin and await response.

Meanwhile, the right attribution for the coin is "Vijayanagar Kingdom, Achyutraya" with the reverse legend obliterated.

THCoins

it is difficult that once you get at a certain level of expert collector you can not trust attribution of third parties of rare objects anymore. As i have set myself modest financial limits i have not run into much problems yet. Most things i buy i already know. Do you research all the items you buy beforehand ? Or do you allow yourself impulse buys of appealing objects ?

Figleaf

Is it known why the other side was obliterated? If it was used for jewellery, the auctioneer should have said so, but if it was for political purposes the situation is quite different...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

cmerc

Quote from: THCoins on July 01, 2014, 06:12:55 PM
it is difficult that once you get at a certain level of expert collector you can not trust attribution of third parties of rare objects anymore. As i have set myself modest financial limits i have not run into much problems yet. Most things i buy i already know. Do you research all the items you buy beforehand ? Or do you allow yourself impulse buys of appealing objects ?

I have also wondered that about Mitresh's ever-expanding collection! Every day he has new and gorgeous pieces to share. I would very much like to know Mitresh's philosophy and collecting style, that has resulted in this noteworthy collection!

I follow Anthony's philosophy, given my modest budget, and limit myself only to a very small subset or periods/geography after sufficient research.
Defending this hobby against a disapproving family since 1998.

mitresh

Quote from: THCoins on July 01, 2014, 06:12:55 PM
Do you research all the items you buy beforehand ? Or do you allow yourself impulse buys of appealing objects ?

Most of the time I do but sometimes I don't, like in this instance. I do buy sometime on impulse, yes.

Quote from: Figleaf on July 01, 2014, 10:36:02 PM
Is it known why the other side was obliterated? If it was used for jewellery, the auctioneer should have said so, but if it was for political purposes the situation is quite different...

It is common to find many Vijayanagar gold issues to have the reverse legend obliterated so it is not something strange or unusual.

Quote from: cmerc on July 01, 2014, 11:00:37 PM
I would very much like to know Mitresh's philosophy and collecting style.....I follow Anthony's philosophy, given my modest budget, and limit myself only to a very small subset or periods/geography after sufficient research.

No philosophy and no style, I go for what appeals to me. Agree it is not an ideal way of collecting though. Your and Anthony's approach is far more sensible, rational and logical and one that all collectors should adopt. Research is indispensible. What time period, geography, dynasty etc to focus or collect is, I believe, a matter of personal choice and interest.

Figleaf

Quote from: mitresh on July 02, 2014, 08:15:52 AM
What time period, geography, dynasty etc to focus or collect is, I believe, a matter of personal choice and interest.

I strongly agree with that as a matter of principle.

I read the questions above as pertaining to research. If you buy what appeals to you, how do you research before you buy? Or do you trust the seller to get it right? Do you have a numismatic library or other reference material? Do you use some web sites you trust? I have seen you grow in the field of research, i.e. the texts with your coins have become quite sophisticated. I realise you mainly (but not always) quote other authors, but it still means you know where to look for further (background) information. I think this is what cmerc and TH are after.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Quant.Geek

I think we all are susceptible to impulse buys, but some basic background information is required.  For auction buys (including ebay), you have plenty of time to research an appealing item before the hammer falls.  This is not the case for time limited purchases from certain vendors.  For instance, once Steve Album publishes their price lists, it is a mad house to buy coins as time is critical.  Of course, a reputable place like Steve Album does allow for returns  :).

Furthermore, you must have a decent set of books based on your collecting interests.  Or, at least have access to a library that does. Flipping through my copy of Mitchiner indicates that the Nayakas of Ikkeri did not issue these types of coins.  My question is what made the seller post it as an Ikkeri coin? 
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

mitresh

Thanks Ram. The seller based it on advice of an 'expert' and has offered refund if I am unhappy with the classification. However, I am Ok with the coin perse as I think it would have been rarer and more expensive per its correct attribution.

Yes, I do have books and other materials that I consult. Guess I overlooked it for this one but not complaining!

cmerc

Quote from: mitresh on July 02, 2014, 08:15:52 AM
No philosophy and no style, I go for what appeals to me. Agree it is not an ideal way of collecting though. Your and Anthony's approach is far more sensible, rational and logical and one that all collectors should adopt. Research is indispensible. What time period, geography, dynasty etc to focus or collect is, I believe, a matter of personal choice and interest.

I completely agree, there is no "correct" or "ideal" way one should adopt. Collecting styles vary person-to-person, and I was just naturally curious as to how you approach it :D  Your style reminds me of the Yashoda Singh collection, auctioned off by Baldwins a couple of years ago. He collected the same way you did, and built an superb collection as well. However, I do think you should have a good numismatic library, especially as your collection grows, even if you aren't a cover-to-cover expert in them (like Anthony)!

mitresh

Thanks. I must admit though that I was, and am, inspired by the Yashoda Singh collection and hope that someday in the future I would be able to build a similar if not better collection. Life and collecting journey goes on......

My basis collecting philosophy is that I should have each time period with major dynasties/rulers represented in my collection. This 'wide' approach allows me to study, research and learn more of hitherto unknown (to me) dynasties, kings, places etc. Naturally, with this approach, there is no way I can ever amass every single coin type ever issued in India but I aspire to acquire a decent sample thereof.

Once the necessary width is achieved, then the next target is the 'depth' of collection where it is important to concentrate on few choice themes to delve deeper to broaden the collection therein. Here my favorites are the Rupees of Shah Jahan and Tanka/Dinar of Mohd Bin Tughlaq (Delhi Sultanate). These personal choices would continue to wax and wane and/or change based on ongoing evolution, maturity and collecting interest as time passes by with some current favorites replaced by other, so forth and so on.

I don't know whether this is good or bad but it gives me joy and pleasure collecting and studying them.

There you go, I hope my 'brain dump' doesn't bore you with details  :D

cmerc

THCoins

Not at all boring Mitresh !
My questions were mainly out of curiosity about how fellow collectors plot their course.
In fact my approach is probably complementary. I generally first dive deep into one subject and then change course into another direction. But i am no "cover-to-cover expert" whatsoever ! (but i admit, i read al my numismatic books completely. Usually in the hour before going to sleep  8))