Author Topic: Japan 50 Mon Tempo Tsuho  (Read 1342 times)

Offline statmatics

• CoinQuest
Japan 50 Mon Tempo Tsuho
« on: June 29, 2014, 03:03:05 PM »
Hi -- A lady named Amber sent me this pic of her 50 mon, tempo tsuho. The 100 mon are everywhere, but I have been unable to tell Amber anything about this 50 mon. I am not sure it is 50 mon. Perhaps Shogun? The Ten Po Tsu Ho characters are clearly present. I don't see this coin in Krause, in CoinArchives pro, on eBay, or in any dealer except http://www.lioncoins.com/Nippon2.htm (where it sold for $88). Do you know if there is any reference material available? Any idea of rarity? Thanks again. -- Paul R, coinquest.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Japan 50 Mon Tempo Tsuho
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 04:13:39 PM »
I am not at all an expert on Japanese coins, but I find both 50 mons rather doubtful. The 100 mon is assigned a date range of 1835-1870. It looks machine struck and it is copper. The guy behind lion coins didn't buy or sell it. He just saw it on eBay. NOT a recommendation. Yet, he assigns the same date range to the 50 mon, while that piece looks cast, rather than struck and grey metal (iron?), rather than copper. The wear on the lion coins piece suggests it was sloppily clamped and used as jewellery, which is highly unlikely for a base metal piece not offering a compelling graphic.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline statmatics

• CoinQuest
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 08:29:51 PM »
Thanks, Peter. Krause says the 100 mons are cast. I agree they look 'cast then machined' or something. I did not catch the nuances you did on the Lions coin. Thanks. The mysteries stand.

Amber says, 'I found this at an open-air market that happens once a month in Kyoto. I have three of these... I just thought they were neat-looking, but I became intrigued after seeing just how difficult it was to track down any information on them online!'

Further ideas?

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 11:20:30 PM »
I have asked some experts. They agree: a fantasy. Such a coin never was.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.