Author Topic: Would you clean this 50 Fils 1931 from Iraq?  (Read 966 times)

Offline PMArgentum

• pmargentum
Would you clean this 50 Fils 1931 from Iraq?
« on: June 21, 2014, 01:16:02 PM »
Hello Numismatic Enthusiasts

I have just won an received this coin.  There are big difference between the auction picture (Picture 1) and the real look of the coin. (Picture 2)

Would you clean this coin?

Regard Martin Sorensen - Denmark

PS. To avoid any feeling of misuse of your knowledge - I would like to inform you that I run a small coins-shop

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Would you clean this 50 Fils 1931 from Iraq?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 01:35:53 PM »
Hello Martin, welcome to WOC !

For myself i always try to answer 3 questions before any cleaning attempt.

- Would cleaning risk destroying an important specimen ?
- Does the appearance of the coin please me as it is ?
- Do i can think i can get it better or is there ongoing corrosion damaging to the coin ?

If the answer to the first two is no, and the last yes, i would have no hesitations cleaning. That said, i mean cleaning respectfully.
On the one you show here i would probably first soak it a few hours in warm water with some dish washing soap and brush a few times with a soft nylon brush. If that removes most of the crud and leaves a more or less uniformly toned surface i would stop there.

Offline PMArgentum

• pmargentum
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 07:30:14 PM »
Hello Again

Thank you for the advice - I will try it when the kids are aslep  :)

Regards Martin

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 08:19:03 PM »
Hello Martin, welcome to WoC. We're not against dealers but we dislike commercial abuse of the site. Education and research are fine, though. To answer your question: yes, I would clean it. The crud is in the way and ugly.

As a pro, you should have an ultrasound cleaner. They are not expensive and ultrasound may be the answer to your prayers in this case. The coin you received is the coin on the seller's picture - scratches of the same shape in the same place - but the pic was heavily manipulated, which in my book is on the border of immoral.

If neither ultrasound nor TH's base treatment helps, try an acid treatment: diluted vinegar. I hope that's not necessary though.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.