Author Topic: German €2 (2008) Mule Commemorative  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
German €2 (2008) Mule Commemorative
« on: June 07, 2014, 07:43:53 AM »
Here's my latest acquisition...and somewhat unexpected too! I always used to think that very few euro mules which exist today are very hard to get and are expensive too..but I was rather pleased to get this one for a decent price! This also happens to be first mule coin in my collection. :)

The €2 commemorative from Germany dated 2008 shows St. Michael's Church in Hamburg. The obverse (showing the Church) is OK, however the reverse is not. Instead of showing the new (or expanded) map of the Europe, it shows the 'old' map of Europe (which was used until 2007 on German coins), which makes it a mule. These error coins were struck by the Stuttgart mint (Mint Mark: F), however the exact number of error coins is not known.

I'm sorry for the terrible scan but this is what I can provide at the moment. Scan as shown by the dealer from whom I bought this coin.

Aditya

It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: German €2 (2008) Mule Commemorative
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 01:01:50 PM »
Good catch, Aditya! It's a known error and a fun way to show that even Germans can make mistakes. ;)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 02:12:57 PM »
Great addition! I got this mule from circulation  :)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 02:26:26 PM »
It's a known error and a fun way to show that even Germans can make mistakes. ;)

:D I was about to make a comment but I realize that it can spark another Germany - Euro debate so.... ;D

Great addition! I got this mule from circulation  :)

Thanks! I wasn't as lucky as you were, but still happy with the deal I got. My next aim is to get the Finnish regular €2 (2006) with the new map, but it's really very very hard to get (and expensive too). ::)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 02:31:04 PM »
:D I was about to make a comment but I realize that it can spark another Germany - Euro debate so.... ;D

Thanks! I wasn't as lucky as you were, but still happy with the deal I got. My next aim is to get the Finnish regular €2 (2006) with the new map, but it's really very very hard to get (and expensive too). ::)

Aditya

I am also still hunting for that one but indeed it is an expensive one  :( In total I have 3 mules now: 20 euro cent Germany 2007 F (old map) and 1 euro Portugal 2008 (old map) but these last 2 not from circulation  ;)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 02:34:51 PM »
Ohh yes, I forgot the Portuguese mule. It's not difficult to find but expensive. The Finnish mule is the real challenge, both numismatically and financially. ;) Not looking for the 20c (Germany) mule though, I'm more interested in bimetallic varieties... 8)

Aditya

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 07:43:41 AM »
I was reading Christian's old post regarding this commemorative and I wonder if there are two varieties of the mule as well (One with top of the tower not touching the ring and one where it goes into the ring)? I hope the answer is NO! ;)

Aditya

EDIT: Reading Christian's post again, it seems that answer is YES! There are two varieties of mule too!!! :o

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 10:03:52 AM »
According to the Schön catalog, about 600,000 coins with the old map were minted in Stuttgart. So yes, they are not terribly expensive. :)

Christian

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 08:15:19 AM »
Half million + error mules? Safe to say that it was not an intentional mischief then. ;)

My next aim is to get the Finnish mule and then the German 20c mule. Let's see if I can manage to find one. :)

Aditya