Author Topic: SS Texaco Great Britiain  (Read 1803 times)

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
SS Texaco Great Britiain
« on: May 28, 2014, 12:54:51 AM »
S.S. GREAT BRITAIN / S.S. TEXACO GREAT BRITAIN showing the old launched in 1843 and the new launched in 1971. brass 25.5mm
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: SS Texaco Great Britiain
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 08:27:13 PM »
I guess the I.K Brunel is Isambard Kingdom Brunel ? I knew he designed railways and bridges, but had no idea he also had designed freightships. He seems to have been quite a universal engineering genius !

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 12:48:22 AM »
Isambard Kingdom Brunel, FRS 1806 1859, was an English mechanical and civil engineer who built dockyards, the Great Western Railway, a series of steamships including the first propeller-driven transatlantic steamship and numerous important bridges and tunnels. His designs revolutionised public transport and modern engineering.

Brunel achieved many engineering "firsts", including assisting in the building of the first tunnel under a navigable river and development of SS Great Britain, the first propeller-driven ocean-going iron ship, which was at the time (1843) also the largest ship ever built. Wikipedia

Brunel is perhaps best remembered for designing the Clifton Suspension Bridge in Bristol. Spanning over 700 ft (210 m), and nominally 200 ft (61 m) above the River Avon, it had the longest span of any bridge in the world at the time of construction. Work on the Clifton bridge started in 1831, but was suspended. Brunel did not live to see the bridge finished. Work recommenced in 1862 and was completed in 1864, five years after Brunel's death.

See also Clifton Suspension Bridge
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 02:37:44 AM »

Brunel by the launching chains of the SS Great Eastern
by Robert Howlett, 1857
Malcolm