News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Fake coins of Tibet, Nepal, Bhutan and Szechuan

Started by Globetrotter, May 27, 2014, 05:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusev

Sichuan rupee. Modern fake photo on the left, photo right - the original.
Sold at eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/301309916926?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&autorefresh=true

Please compare the detail headdress.
There is also a discrepancy in the other parts.
"Those at the top of the mountain didn't fall there."- Marcus Washling.

Figleaf

No expertise on these, but I do remember that there were some wildly different dies as well as local imitations. You probably have much better documentation.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

MORGENSTERNN

Hello,

I recently found on Ebay 2 counterstamped coins and I keep their pictures for WOC

Original title from sellers were
- Katar / Persischer Golf - 5 Francs 1869 BB mit Gegenstempel von Bahrain - RR ! 
- TIBET SZECHUAN BILLON RUPEE COIN FANCY COUNTERMARK 1939-42 AD KM#Y-3.3 VERY FINE

Those coins were sold at the price of 141 € for the 5 Francs 1869 and 307 € for the Szechuen Rupee
I think that the tibetan stamp is genuine while the arabic is not.
What is you point of view ?

Gusev

Tibet with a countermarked is genuine coin. This is an interesting countermarked.
We discussed this coin on Zeno.
http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=177849

Gusev

Countermarked "RNAM"

everastranger

The lower half sho weighing 1.81 g is definitely fake.I first saw it being offered in ebay by coinfanxzy 1260, item no. 280289814793 (29.11.2008). The seller coinfanxcy at that time had offered various other fake Tibetan coins.

Gusev

My coin was bought in 2010 in Mongolia souvenir shop for $ 3.  ;)

everastranger

A graded example of the half sho forgery, Qian Long year 58, is being offered in the Hong Kong June 2017 auction of Heritage:

https://coins.ha.com/itm/tibet/world-coins-china/china-tibet-qian-long-1-2-sho-year-58-1793-xf-details-cleaning-pcgs-/a/3055-37103.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

everastranger

The shokang Qian Long year 58 and the two sho-coins, Qian Long year 59, presented by Afrasi, are all genuine in my opinion. I have examples in my collection which are struck from the same dies (bought long time before Chinese forgeries appeared on the market).

everastranger

Quote from: Gusev on August 15, 2014, 04:06:45 PM
Sichuan rupees with the emperor's portrait facing right are fantasies which started to be produced possibly as late as the 1980s (information from "clmarabu").
This coin on ebay are probably inspired by the just mentioned Sichuan rupees with the emperor's portrait facing right may be considered as forgery of an "original" fantasy.
http://www.ebay.com.my/itm/MONETA-ANTICA-DEL-TIBET-IN-ARGENTO-CHINA-Szechuan-Tibet-NR-683-/191070251187?pt=Monete_altri_Continenti&hash=item2c7caca8b3
Seller truly believes that this coin is a rarity. ???

Further to my comment quoted above (clmarabu) I would like to add: A possibly genuine Sichuan rupee with the emperor´s portrait facing right is illustrated in the following catalogue: Lin Gwo Ming and Ma Tak Wo: Illustrated Catalogue of Chinese Gold & Silver Coins, 7th Edition, Hong Kong, no date, p. 124, no. 365. The coin is listed as unique. I asked the editor of the catalogue, Mr. Ma Tak Wo who is a highly respected expert in Chinese coins, about the coin illustrated by him and he told me that he believes that it is genuine. I find no major reason to doubt his opinion.

Gusev

Look modern fake (magnetic) ;D Sichuan rupee with the emperor´s portrait facing right.
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,27602.0.html

Afrasi

Thank you very much! Good to hear this.  :D

Gusev

This information belongs to Mr. "everastranger"

The auction Auktionshaus Christoph Gärtner, 37. Auktion Münzen, 16 - 17 June 2017 put up for sale nine coins of Tibet. Coins are offered as genuine. Two coins (Lot.4094 & 4096).are modern fakes.

Lot.4094, Tibet, modern fake, 5 Sho, KM Y#8, BE 1 (1909), Starting price: 5'000 EUR, :o Unsold. :)
Lot 4096, Tibet, modern fake, 2.5 Skar, KM Y#A19, BE 15-55 (1921), Starting price: 600 EUR, :o Unsold. :)

Figleaf

A good thing they are unsold indeed. Did someone inform the auction house that these coins are deceptive fakes?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

everastranger

I informed the auction house "Gaertner", but did not get any reply to my message.