News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

What have we here?

Started by malj1, May 13, 2014, 06:05:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

Effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Ian Rank-Broadley FRBS rev. squiggles Cu-Ni? 20.2mm

Is it the middles cut from something?
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Bimat

Looks very strange to me. The inner pill of bimetallic £2? ???

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

malj1

You got it in one, that thought had crossed my mind but I did not think to search.

So this is worth 'arf-a-quid?  ::) but one or two of the blobs on the reverse are wrong.  ???

see here
Malcolm

Bimat

I think it's the inner pill of fake £2... ;D Color doesn't seem right!

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Figleaf

Fake. May well be cast.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

FosseWay

Yes, inner pill of a fake £2. Not only is the quality of the engraving/casting indicative of a fake, but also the pill is more likely to fall out of a fake one. I've never seen an unintentionally dismantled genuine £2 - AFAIK the only way to get the pieces to come apart involves a lot of force or heat, which will leave marks on the surfaces of the coin and/or bend the planchet. Not sure whether extreme cold might make the pill pop out - anyone fancy immersing one in a vat of liquid nitrogen?

I have a pill of an Italian 500 lire coin that apparently fell out of its own accord and is apparently genuine. But the 500 lire was IIRC the first mass-produced circulation bimetallic coin and I imagine the technology has improved since then.

<k>

So where did you get THAT funny face from?
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

malj1

Checked my search history with difficulty and found it on this page. Trust me to find an odd one!  ::)

Along the way I found several others do show blobs instead of gears.  ??? so a later issue perhaps.

As a diversion there is a discussion of gears here pointing out that the design was wrong with 19 gears which of course cannot work; but the who is counting?  ;D

Malcolm

<k>

Quote from: malj1 on May 14, 2014, 12:50:43 AM
Checked my search history with difficulty and found it on this page. Trust me to find an odd one!  ::)

The base of the Queen's neck is way too close to the beads. Clearly it is a forgery.

<k>

Quote from: malj1 on May 14, 2014, 12:50:43 AM
As a diversion there is a discussion of gears here pointing out that the design was wrong with 19 gears which of course cannot work

We covered that one in the Thematics section: Factual errors and physical impossibilities.

malj1

Quote from: <k> on May 14, 2014, 10:06:25 AM
The base of the Queen's neck is way too close to the beads. Clearly it is a forgery.

I see she also missing an ear although she has an ear-ring.

Quote from: <k> on May 14, 2014, 10:19:30 AM
We covered that one in the Thematics section: Factual errors and physical impossibilities.

I thought afterwards that I had read something about it.  ::)
Malcolm