Author Topic: Money Museum Frankfurt to close for two years  (Read 1680 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Money Museum Frankfurt to close for two years
« on: May 24, 2014, 11:31:00 PM »
The Geldmuseum in Frankfurt (Hesse, Germany, Europe ... that Frankfurt ;) ) will be closed for some "comprehensive renovation" as from the end of August 2014. According to the Bundesbank - which owns the collection and operates the museum - it will be completely rebuilt ... and therefore be closed for about two years. Here are some photos that Ignacio took when we had our WoC meeting in Frankfurt.

So if you plan to visit the Money Museum, do so between now and 29 August. After that, the next opportunity will probably be in late 2016. Also see here: http://www.geldmuseum.de/

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Money Museum Frankfurt to close for two years
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 02:16:14 AM »
My eyesight must be getting worse. I didn't notice how the place needed fixing upping. I do remember a collection of stunning highlights and fascinating exhibits and a most interesting medal collection...

When they open again in 2016, I expect that the museum of the Monnaie de Paris, which is scheduled to re-open in 2013, will still be closed.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 12:14:57 PM »
True, my eyesight is not what it used to be either. But we cannot blame the Bundesbank for that. ;)  Whether it is necessary to close the whole Money Museum down, I don't know. I suppose that a major (arts, archaeology, etc.) museum would close some departments, rearrange the exhibits, etc., but basically stay open. Well, in a case like this, the museum is just part of some big institution, and admission is free, so no "revenue" gets lost ...

The new museum will still show coins, but there will be more banking and economy related information, barrier free access is an issue ... oh, and a bigger cafeteria too. Since the Bundesbank says the place will be closed until late/end '16, maybe we won't see it open again until early 2017. Who knows. As for the schedule, let's see -- when was the Elb-Philharmonie in Hamburg opened, and since when have the Berliners been able to use their new airport? All these projects will probably "go live" at the same time, in sync with the museum in Paris. >:D

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 12:24:50 PM »
The Money Museum is still closed but in August, for example, the museum participated in the annual Museumsuferfest. That is a festival in downtown Frankfurt, along the Main river, where several museums present what the do and have. Have not been there this year, but from what I read, the Bundesbank gave a preview of the newly designed museum. Also, parts of the Geldmuseum collection are now online. Well, not much yet, but these things take their time ...

This is the main page of the Bundesbank Archives:
http://bundesbank.faust-web.de
And here we have the coin collection:
http://bundesbank-geldmuseum.faust-iserver.de/liste_start.FAU?sid=7EC8D0301&dm=2&listex=Bestand%20online

Currently the only section that you can view online is "Ancient Rome: Republic" (Antike > Römische Republik), with about 250 coins. Click on "Römische Republik" to see the first ten coins, and on "alle Treffer zeigen" to see them all.

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 05:02:16 PM »
This weekend the Bundesbank's Money Museum (Geldmuseum Frankfurt) is about to open its doors again. :) Tomorrow invited guests can have a look at the newly designed permanent exhibition. On Saturday (17 Dec, 9-17 h) anybody can visit the museum. Note that, after the opening days, the Money Museum is closed on Saturdays.

The regular opening hours (as from 18 December 2016)
Mon/Tue: 9-17 h
Wed: 9-20 h
Thu/Fri: 9-17 h
Sat: closed
Sun: 9-17 h

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 05:52:13 PM »
See second paragraph of reply #1 in this thread.

*sigh*

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.