Author Topic: Smaller coastal and inland vessels  (Read 3607 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Smaller coastal and inland vessels
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2018, 09:02:54 PM »
It could be designer incompetence, but I doubt it. As <k> has shown in his coin design stories, the designers often work with pictures provided by the client, in this case Belize.

Anyway, I had another look at the coin and I am now scaling the large vessel down to a schooner. Bear with me and look at what little is shown of the foremast. There is a yard (horizontal spar) attached to it with a ring. The ring serves to make the direction of the yard flexible and depending on the wind. That setup is typical for what is known in English as a fore-and-aft rigged sail.

Now look at the picture of the stamp. The lowest sail on the foremast is a square rigged sail. It is normal for a sloop-of-war (not to be confused with a sloop) to be a square rigger. A fore-and-aft sail on the foremast is normal for a schooner. Being a schooner would also explain the double Latin spritsail - a large schooner would have three, but a smaller type could have two - and the deck gun, the only armament of the schooners.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Online <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: Smaller coastal and inland vessels
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2018, 08:28:55 PM »
Bermuda, $1, 1992.