News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Your design on a coin? Here is your chance!

Started by Figleaf, January 14, 2009, 01:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

Olympics coin designers go for gold
Reuters, Tuesday January 13 2009, (Reporting by Martina Fuchs, Editing by Peter Griffiths)

LONDON, Jan 13 (Reuters) - British athletes kicked off a competition on Tuesday looking for creative minds to design millions of 50 pence coins for the 2012 Olympic Games in London.
The Royal Mint Design Competition was launched in Trafalgar Square by British jump champion Jonathan Edwards and five other Olympic and Paralympic medal winners - Giles Long, Karen Pickering, Nick Gillingham, Danny Crates, Ian Rose and Anna Hennings.
Edwards, who won a triple jump gold medal at the Sydney Olympics in 2000, said: "This is an amazing opportunity for the whole nation to be part of London 2012 in a lasting, memorable way."
Royal Mint, the oldest coin maker in the world, organised the competition and will produce the Olympic coins.
Its Chief Executive Andrew Stafford said: "We are proud to be involved in this monumental event and to be able to involve the public in the creation of these celebratory coins, which will be found in the nation's change for many years to come."
Judges will select 29 designs showing different Olympic and Paralympic sports. They will be featured on the back of millions of 50 pence pieces from March 2010.
The competition is open to UK residents over the age of 13 and winners will receive 1,000 pounds in cash and a gold coin featuring their design.
Around 769 million 50 pence pieces were estimated to be in circulation in March 2008.

Source: The Guardian
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Figleaf

the rules are available at the contest website: www.royalmintcompetition.co.uk. The closing date is April 24.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

Have you always wanted to be a coin designer? Well, now you can design a British "2012 Olympics" 50p piece. http://www.royalmintcompetition.co.uk/  Sign up between now and mid-April, download the template and submit your design by 24 April. Sounds quite interesting ...

(For more details, also see this http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,2740.0.html topic.)

Christian

Figleaf

How about H. L. Mencken, with his quote: "I hate all sports as rabidly as a person who likes sports hates common sense"?

Mmmm. I have problems with common sense also ...

Peter

Figleaf

Make sure you enjoy the opening and closing ceremony, or you'll get nothing out of your money. Or send in a coin design with a dead hooligan and a newspaper heading like: "Neighbours: he was a good parent". (Tongue firmly planted in cheek.) :P

Quick, someone, post a picture of a coin before I get really morose ...

Peter

chrisild

Quote from: The Swan-Collarer with Two Necks on March 20, 2009, 08:39:28 PM
This does not necessarily mean all 27 sports will be honoured with a design - or does it?

Had another look, and no, that is not what it means. But I am not quite sure whether you actually want to know what it actually means. ;)

"This competition is open to all UK residents aged 13 or over, and will deliver 27 of the 29 final designs. A children's competition for 6-12 year olds to create a coin for athletics is being launched by Blue Peter today, and a coin for cycling will be chosen from secondary school entries (13-19 year olds)." http://www.royalmint.com/Corporate/media/news_14-01-2009_1.aspx

So ... twenty-nine coins, I suppose. Way too many for me, but at least 50p is more affordable, even for kids, than £2 or even £5. Also, the series will be "spread" across several years, almost like the US state quarters.

Christian

annovi.frizio

Frizio Graphic Designer
http://www.friziodesign.it/

Figleaf

I think you are right. In principle, this is not allowed under EU rules as well as under WTO rules on government purchases, but they can probably slip through the mazes by claiming that it's not a purchase and the reward is a prize, not a price. Not living up to the spirit of an international agreement by a narrow interpretation is not just a French sport ...  :(

Peter

chrisild

Don't think that being a UK resident (which seems to be a requirement in this context) is the same as being a UK citizen.

Well, those coins are made in the UK to be used in the UK, so this limitation makes sense to me. Within the euro area that would be a different story, at least for those coins that are not just local issues.

But as you wrote, it does not make sense to single out one or two countries in that regard. Most governments/mints have "their" designers, either mint employees or from a pool of artists, who get the coin design jobs.

Christian