Author Topic: Venetian ferry token?  (Read 1314 times)

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
Venetian ferry token?
« on: February 19, 2010, 02:10:10 AM »

I was pretty sure that I had a token that might fit in this thread.  I don't know what it is but for a plain working token it has a nice decoration.  It has a reeded edge.  Maybe it is for a gondola ride  :)
Dale

.........For industrial tokens, these four pieces are surprisingly decorated.
Peter

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Venetian ferry token?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 02:36:31 AM »
That's a gondola fersure. Gondolas are very expensive. I can't imagine them using these tokens. Maybe a ferry token? It looks like a phone token, but that wouldn't explain the gondola. I have not seen it in Venice.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline RHM22

• E NVMMI AGNITIO
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 03:24:22 AM »
Your penguin tokens are more than a little disturbing. I can't read Italian, so maybe the suggestive nature of the location of the hose is intentional.

As for junk, I have plenty of it myself. Every time I encounter car wash or arcade tokens, I automatically pocket a couple and add them to my 'junk box' at home. Apparently it's a disease that collectors share, no matter which country he/she hails from. :D

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 04:00:53 AM »
The more I look at the gondola token, the more the head looks like a dragon.  So I was wondering if it was an oriential gondola....  Prolly my imagination.

Dale

Offline RHM22

• E NVMMI AGNITIO
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 04:21:45 AM »
Could the gondola token possibly be related to the 1892 Columbian Exposition? I have read before that they had some sort of gondolas there, so maybe this could have been used as fare? Come to think of it, though, the gondolas could have been some type of balloons, I suppose.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 10:12:15 AM »
How about this: gondoliers are supposed to sing. Most can't or don't these days, so they have some kind of music box. What if in bygone times, tourists could buy these tokens to let a "juke box" play and have the gondolier sing on demand? Itis absolutely not beyond gondoliers to squeeze the last possible penny out of a tourist.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 12:09:55 PM »
Umm, a singing gondoliere costs extra. 8) But since you mentioned ferry tokens - remember the two different types of "gondola services" so to say? One is basically for the tourists, but they also have those traghetti. That is something like a gondola ferry; the traghetto will get you from one side of the Canale Grande to the other. That "trip" takes a few seconds only, and thus is not really expensive. Did not use it myself, but maybe they had or have tokens for that?

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 12:24:55 PM »
Yes, that is another option, but traditionally, the traghetti have two oarsmen ...

Peter

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 12:35:23 PM »
Ah, I just wasted a few more minutes searching the web. ;D  Seems they had various ferry tokens in Venice; this page shows one for the Canale Grande traghetto, and one for the Venice-Lido ferry: http://www.tramontingondole.it/ing-curiosities.htm  But "ours" is not depicted. Hmm.

Christian

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 01:56:29 PM »
Sooooo....think there is little chance that it is from Shanghai or maybe? Suzhou, the most famous far east “water town”? 

However, I think I got this in a package of tokens from a German seller.  Not sure at this late date.

Dale

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 02:02:10 PM »
I'd stick to Venice. There are plenty of bridges in Suzhou and there's no need for ferries. Also, the ships are broader and prow and stern are not built up as on gondolas.

Peter

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 02:29:08 PM »
Yeah...but it does looks suspiciously like a lean-to in the center.
Dale

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 05:42:17 PM »
I don't believe it is an oriental style either, I just didn't want to dismiss the possibility out of hand.
Dale