Enigmatic Copper: possibly a Malwa Opium Trade coin

Started by andyg, December 05, 2009, 03:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyg

Gwalior?

20mm 12g

Rangnath

I thought I'd give this well struck copper a second look.  Is there anything that Oesho or Salvete would like to add to this thread?  Would I be wrong to leave the subject tittle as given or am I likely mistaken as to the copper's origin?
richie

Oesho

On the top image Zarb is clearly shown. Normally above it should be the mintname, but here you can only see a flower pattern. On the lower image Falus + trident is shown.
Such combinations can't be possible. On the obverse there would be the issuing authority and on the onther Falus Zarb (mint). This is a clear indication that it is not a official issue of a regular mint, but an 'illigal' product of some counterfeiting centre, probably in Malwa.

asm

Oesho,

One more coin in the list of Enigmatic Coppers from the Malwa region, possibly used to finance the Opium Trade. Would you agree to changing the topic name to "Enigmatic Copper: possibly a Malwa Opium Trade coin like a Gwalior issue".

We seem to be building up quite a list of such issues. It may be worthwhile if such coins are listed seperatly in the index which would help anyone interested in such coins. Oesho, Peter, Richie, Overlord, Salvete, Abhay... can we please have your views on this?

Amit

EDIT: .....or have a seperate child board on this if it makes an interesting topic for more research in this not too well known area?
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Rangnath

I re-labeled the subject heading.  I thought linking this coin specifically to a Gwalior copy was making too big a leap for now. If Oesho had said "see Coins of the Sindhias Miscellaneous and unattributed coins #14, for example, I would have added Gwalior above. 
I think that another child board is too complicated.  Having all the subjects of such coins labeled "enigmatic" will bring up all related threads in a search. 
This is a fascinating area of study.  I would certainly like to see someone take it on. 
richie

Rangnath

By all means, post away AJG. One coin for one thread works best, but have a go.
richie

Figleaf

It is technically possible to list the "opium" issues separately in the index, but that is for the indexer (Overlord) to decide. Another option would be to have a separate index for opium issues in the same thread as the main index, so that they can be seen together, but updated by different people. I would strongly recommend that, if this option is foreseen, the candidate-indexer of the opium coins seeks the opinion of the moderator (Rangnath) and the board supervisors (Overlord and asm). I would agree with Rangnath that a sub-board is not warranted at this time, as we don't have enough threads on the subject, but, as always, all members are always free to open a poll on the "suggestions" board.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Rangnath

Thanks Figleaf.  I certainly agree with all of what you said, including poll taking.
richie

asm

Quote from: AJG on January 28, 2010, 10:51:24 PM
Thanks guys,

I guess this is why I couldn't find this one.
I have a tin full of such coin but I know you're all busy so I don't like to bother the forum with all of them.

AJG,

Post as many as you can. It would be interesting to see if the whole lot is such enigmatic coins. Most lilely not. Most would be possible to attribute to specific states and may be a few would go to the list of enigmatic coins. It would be fun.

As richie said, "One coin for one thread works best, but have a go".

asm

Peter,
I agree to your views as also those of richie. The child board was an after thought. I believe a seperate index heading in the main index may suffice till we have the numbers to make a seperate thread in the main index.

Amit