A notebook
0 (0%)
Softwares
8 (80%)
Other
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: April 07, 2015, 09:12:25 AM

Author Topic: Cataloguing  (Read 4337 times)

Offline rahulrk1999

• RK
  • I collect all types of modern coins
Cataloguing
« on: April 26, 2014, 09:11:11 AM »
Hey guys, which is the best way to catalouge your collection - softwares, books/checklists or any other way???
Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery but Today is a gift. That's why it's called present.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Re: Cataloguing
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 09:14:35 AM »
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 09:55:49 AM »
Likewise Excel.

The only drawback I've found with using Excel is that you can't (easily) display a picture of your coin alongside the record.

(Well, my system has other drawbacks, but they are user-initiated and not the fault of Excel.)

Online Manzikert

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 11:37:45 AM »
I use a very useful little database programme called Cardbox, available as a free download from www.cardbox.com.

This has the great advantage that it can easily hold an unlimited number of images in each record. It is also very easy to set up a database and modify it as required. Just about everything is customizable within the programme and form design is all 'drag and drop'. There is a theoretical limit of 16,000,000 records per database, but I don't think any of us are going to achieve that ;D

Below is an example of the simple form I use for my coins: the words and numbers in red are indexed and instantly searchable. Cardbox is a 'flat-file' database, but there is a 'back side' to each record on which you can put as much text as you want (there used to be a limit of 32kb per record but that no longer applies) and you could compose a long essay for each coin if you wanted.

This particular record has three images attached, obverse, reverse and the seller's image from Ebay, which can be viewed at various magnifications (the second screen capture shows the obverse at 50% but this can be varied upwards or downwards with a keyclick).

I have always (40 years plus) kept a written catalogue in notebooks, but am gradually transferring all the data to Cardbox. The most time consuming part is scanning the coins and cropping the images: I have tried photography but I have come to the conclusion that I am incompetent :(. I scan everything at 1200 dpi then compress the JPEGS.

I now have put 5,167 coins in two databases, about 75% of which have had the images added, and I try to do half a dozen a day.

Alan

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 12:33:47 PM »
@Manzikert: This Cardbox system looks very well organized.
One important question for me; Does it allow the use of non-western fonts and characters ?

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 01:03:41 PM »
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 01:42:35 PM »
Cardbox looks extremely useful from my point of view. But there is one complete deal-breaker: IT ONLY RUNS ON WINDOZE. A few years ago, ignoring the tiny handful of cranks who insisted on using open-source OSs and the slightly larger number of designer types who evangelise about Macs probably made some kind of sense. But the total number of people using an OS other than Windows today must be a significant part of the whole. Seems a bit shortsighted not to cater for them.

Online Manzikert

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 02:59:37 PM »
@THCoins: Yes, you make your database Unicode compliant when you set it up: see screen captures below where I have put some Arabic and Chinese characters into records. I don't do this with most because I don't actually read (or type) either language! I have to do it all with cut-and-paste. However, you can type your whole record in Armenian if you want: the indexing should even work. Cardbox is very small and friendly (about 7Mb for a full installation) and easy to get rid of if you want, so it would probably only take an hour or less to install, set up a database and enter a few records (Armenian or whatever ;), and get rid of it if you didn't like it. You can even read data into it easily from Excel as well.

@FosseWay: The original versions of Cardbox (early 1980's) ran on Unix and CPM, then Basic, but when Windows became popular it of course transferred to that. There have been mutterings on the Cardbox forums about porting it over to Android (and you have always been able to use Mac Windows emulators) but nothing has been done yet I'm afraid. If it ever did go to an Android version I would probably swap the netbook I carry around to fairs with Cardbox installed on it for a tablet.

Alan

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 03:47:55 PM »
Thanks for the answer ! I might try it (if i find some spare time  :-\)

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 04:19:31 PM »
I used to run Parallels Desktop and Windows XP on my desktop iMac for applications that only ran in Windows, but either/both Parallels and Windows became corrupt and I didn't bother replacing them. Towards the end the only software I ran in Windows was Family Tree Maker, but then an equally good program for family history came out for the Mac so I had no need of a Windows emulator. That in fact has been my experience in general - that software makers have increasingly broadened the range of OSs their products can run on, especially since Apple switched to Intel processors, hence my surprise with Cardbox.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 06:03:08 PM »
I don't have an inventory list. I consider it a time eater that's not worth its keep. Humans like making lists and like even more to know how rich they are. The answer to these impulses are that the list is incomplete and your true wealth are the people who stand by you when times are tough.

I can think of few practical reasons for an inventory lists*. Insurance, theft, inheritance... Insurance is too expensive even to consider. Theft is one of those things that happen whether you have an inventory list or not. Either you get most of your coins back or none. The inventory doesn't help much. People are unwilling to look at a large number of common coins that they see offered for sale every day. A few signature pieces works a lot better and is no guarantee either. Inheritance is not your problem. If you think your successors will take an interest in your collection, they will still collect their own way; having the collection stored in a logical and accessible way is of more interest to them than an inventory list. If they don't care about coins, you should have sold your collection before your death.

Peter

* An inventory list is not a negative want list. A want list is a want list.
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 07:02:26 PM »
I have the kind of inventory list that Peter sees no point in, but that's not the part of my record-keeping that I think would benefit from something like Cardbox. For the list of what I've got, when I got it, what it's notionally worth etc. Excel is ideal.

Alongside that I have a list of types. I allocate a type number to each definably different coin/token/coin-like object in my collection ("different" doesn't include dates). Having just sorted out a bunch of Danish gas and electricity tokens, I am now up to type 10266. The list is entirely descriptive and includes no information about the particular specimen I have, other than the picture which is of course of the coin I own. I currently have 10266 pictures and an Excel file (incomplete - I'm up to 3000 and something) and in the latter, detailed descriptions of the coins plus surrounding information (e.g. who is being commemorated, or how a token was used) and references. Apart from the sorting option, Excel is not ideal for this, as you only have one layout and you can't have the picture alongside the information (I have hyperlinks to the image files, which are a real ballache to administer).

A database with the kind of layout and searchability of Cardbox sounds ideal for this.

Offline rahulrk1999

• RK
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 07:15:12 PM »
Wow guys nice to see a conversation starting and I havent had anything to say
Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery but Today is a gift. That's why it's called present.

Offline rahulrk1999

• RK
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 07:16:48 PM »
Any of you know any good coin software for Indian coins [Republic india] ??? There are a lot for foreign ones but Ihavent come across any for Indian coins. So guys, help me out!!!

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 10:56:40 AM »
There's nothing to it. All it takes is Excel, Word, this thread and some computer smarts. Just copy the list from the thread, paste it as unformatted text into Word. Prepare it for Excel by doing some smart find/replace commands, making sure there is a tab between cells and a return at the end of each line. Copy from Word and paste into Excel.

Alternatively, you can open a reply form with the "quote" button, copy the list with tags and use the tags to place the tabs and returns.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.