Author Topic: Mohammad Akbar II Rupee Shahjahanabad  (Read 1291 times)

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
Mohammad Akbar II Rupee Shahjahanabad
« on: April 25, 2014, 09:11:31 AM »
Here is a rather interesting part of mughal/british history and mint was a transition mint.. Would this rupee be considered mughal or british??
Do comment with your own coins and elaborate with knowledge of the history of the time
Mohammad Akbar II, Rupee Shahjahanabad, 122xah/Ry2
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 09:07:23 PM by abhinumis »
Dr.Abhishek

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: Mohammad Akbar II Rupee Shahjahanabad
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 10:53:10 AM »
Cant see any coin..............
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 09:44:33 PM »
Here is a rather interesting part of mughal/british history and mint was a transition mint.. Would this rupee be considered mughal or british??
Do comment with your own coins and elaborate with knowledge of the history of the time
Mohammad Akbar II, Rupee Shahjahanabad, 122xah/Ry2

Here are my Muhammad Akbar II, Shahjahanabad rupee specimens, reproduced from the thread:
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php?topic=26736.msg174778#msg174778

Amit Ji and I discussed the same question you ask: Mughal or British?

Defending this hobby against a disapproving family since 1998.

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 06:18:58 PM »
Could be attributed to Shajahanabad (Delhi) as a transitional mint under the authority of B.E.I.C.
It's always complex to say to which authority it should be attributed. Peter argued about the coins struck during the IInd WW in the Netherlands. No-doubt it circulated in the (occupied) Netherlands and still should be regard as occupation money, struck under German authority. It of course doesn't makes it German money. Neither will the coins struck under the authority of the B.E.I.C at Delhi be British coins. Even more complex is the currency struck under Maratha authority, particular when Mahadji Sindhia was apointed "Waqil-i-Mutlaq" (prime minister) by the Mughal emperror. Where  the coins struck on his behalf Maratha coins or Mughal coins? One would say the Mughal emperor Shah Alam II was to weak to oppose the strong Maratha power, but the Marathas received formally the authority from the reigning Emperor.

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 09:12:03 PM »
I think reading into the comments, the coins should be labelled as Shahjahanabad under EIC transition mint.. Thanks a lot Oesho and Peter for the insights. Also posted the coin which I previously missed in the main thread
Dr.Abhishek

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 06:02:16 AM »
I don't think this issued needs to be necessarily resolved! It is alright to have blurred boundaries / grey areas regarding attribution, as long as the ambiguity is recognized. (It makes the coin's story more interesting too!)

BTW, beautiful specimen Abhishek! You must be very happy.

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 01:51:39 PM »
No doubt happy Avik, started on collecting coins with mint name shahajahanabad.. Got the regular ones easily but now it gets tough. I think the rarest of all mughal rupee is also bahadur shah zafar shahjahanabad. To reach there is tough!! Delhi has a very interesting and intriguing history well reflected on her coins. Trying to recreate it.
Dr.Abhishek

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 05:10:23 PM »
No doubt happy Avik, started on collecting coins with mint name shahajahanabad.. Got the regular ones easily but now it gets tough. I think the rarest of all mughal rupee is also bahadur shah zafar shahjahanabad. To reach there is tough!! Delhi has a very interesting and intriguing history well reflected on her coins. Trying to recreate it.

So you have the Shahjahanabad issues before and after Muhammad Akbar? Please do share on this thread! The Bahadur Shah Zaraf issues will probably be very elusive.

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 08:20:52 PM »
I have issues before Md.Akbar II.. Only Bahadur shah Zafar comes after him and that coin is very very very rare... May be no less rare than say Azam Shah.. So I can dream of getting my hands on one..
Dr.Abhishek

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"