Author Topic: Unknown coins  (Read 4808 times)

Offline denier

Unknown coins
« on: April 24, 2014, 11:20:49 AM »
Hi
I found 2 coins.
I also find some silver jewelry but i don`t know what they are exactly . I don`t know if i may post the pictures here or not.
Thanks for your help
firts coin(medalion 2 holes)

second coin

If i may i`ll later add pictures of the silver items(jevelery???) i found . Few items first is intact second looks broken .
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 07:27:43 PM by eurocoin »

Offline denier

Re: Unknown coins
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 12:05:45 AM »
Hi again sorry for bad pics.
I`ll add better pics my phone cam does not have macro shot.
First coin again Arabic letters??? Sorry i have no idea.

Second coin . first  side Letters ....A? Colon in the square (middle)
Second side cross in the middle S and N on the cross side . Like North/South but probably not .
first side

second side

PS Tnx for your help
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 07:19:32 PM by eurocoin »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 11:56:44 AM »
Please open a different thread for different coins. They go to different boards.

The first, third and fourth coins are medieval dinars in kufic script. Date and mint are on the circular legend, but I do not read Arabic well enough to decipher it. There are others who can help you. The first and second pictures are upside down. The fifth picture should be rotated almost 45 CCW, the sixth and seventh are upside down. The eighth is correct.

The second and fifth coin are European medieval. The two may well be of the same type. The ninth picture is very good. Can you do a picture of the other side in this quality?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 12:27:21 PM »
The two European coins are from Cologne, probably mentioning the name of emperor Heinrich III, but struck in the name of archbishop Annus (Anno) der Heilige 1056-1075. Dannenberg 390 var.

obv: bulleted cross, in the corners ANNvS, around +HENRICVS IMPER AVG or variant.
rev: church with AGRI / PNA in two lines. SCA COLONIA CIVIT (sancta colonia Agrippina civitatis - the holy establishment of Cologne city)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 11:32:51 AM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 08:33:59 PM »
Your first coin with the Arab inscription is an Abbasid dirham. Can not read the mintname or date on your photos.

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 10:08:07 PM »
Your first coin is Samanid, a coin of Ahmad bin Ismail struck at al-Shash (Tashkent) in 298 H, SNAT XVb 263-264. The Abbasid caliph al-Muqtadir is named on the third line of the reverse.

Alan

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 09:42:43 AM »
Hi Alan, very instructive reply, thanks !
I already was pleased with myself i could detect the caliphs name, but it shows, i am still a
novice in this field.