News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Known single piece coins

Started by Md. Shariful Islam, April 21, 2014, 09:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Md. Shariful Islam

Please post here images, descriptions or link of known single piece coins.

natko

There is an interesting story about Croatian KM#1, 1 kuna 1941 which was supposed to be minted along with 2 kuna of the same date. Train from Germany that was carrying empty planchets to Zagreb mint was blown up in a partisan diversion and only extremely rare patterns exist in copper and zinc (together with one sided trial strikes etc). Zinc one, having the same characteristic of the coin that was supposed to be struck is considered the unique, only known example of the type. 2 kuna pieces were minted in planned quantities.

In these years artistically far superior patterns were made for many denominations in different metals, of which 10-20 is known of each, but since this circulation 1 kuna was uninteresting probably not more than a few, or even possibly that single one was ever made anyway.

Here's a photo from Viscevic catalog (who is also one of our members here)

FosseWay

The 1954 penny is probably the UK's most famous unique coin:

(Image from Chard Coins' website - as they themselves write, this may or may not actually be a picture of it.)

Then there is the so far single example of a 1952 half crown known:

(Image from Colin Cooke; he notes that there also exist a small number of VIP proofs from 1952 but that this is, as far as anyone knows, a unique circulation coin.)

natko

These unique pieces always fascinated me. There is also an unique example of Italian 10 centesimi from 1908. In that year, a new series was released with a woman standing on a boat prow. Only 1, 2 and 5 centesimi were released to general circulation. Several patterns marked PROVA were made for all denominations, including 10 centesimi, but reportedly also an example without that exist. Here's an image of marked coin

Also, speaking of Italy there is another famous unique example that was listed in regular sections of SCWC, now in patterns. Palmanova 25 centesimi from 1814 siege. You can read more about it here
http://currencies.wikia.com/wiki/Palmanova_25_centesimo_coin

natko

Dead topic, yet such an interesting subject?

I'll add a unique strike of Finnish 10 pennia 1867 in gold. From my notes, there are two theories about its origin. Some sources says it was made for Count Ferrari collection by his order. But it seems more likely it was made as the present to the 50th birthday of the Mint director A.F.Soldan. Last sold in 2002 by Heritage rare coin auctions.

Md. Shariful Islam

Quote from: natko on April 26, 2017, 02:23:40 PM
Dead topic, yet such an interesting subject?

I'll add a unique strike of Finnish 10 pennia 1867 in gold. From my notes, there are two theories about its origin. Some sources says it was made for Count Ferrari collection by his order. But it seems more likely it was made as the present to the 50th birthday of the Mint director A.F.Soldan. Last sold in 2002 by Heritage rare coin auctions.
Thanks for sharing such a rare piece.

MORGENSTERNN