Author Topic: Circulation coinage, collector coins only, or fantasies ?  (Read 791 times)

Offline MORGENSTERNN

Circulation coinage, collector coins only, or fantasies ?
« on: February 04, 2018, 12:38:56 AM »
Hello,

As I decided to keep only "circulation" coins and token I need some help to clean my collection from "fantasies"

See below a list of the doubtful issuers :

- Bahamas
- Barbados
- Bermuda
- Cayman Island
- Falkland Islands
- Gibraltar
- Kiribati
- Liechtenstein
- Madeira Island
- Man Island
- Saint Helena & Ascension
- San Marino
- Solomon Islands
- Western Samoa
- Tonga
- Tuvalu
- Vatican

Does those territories ever issued circulation coinage during the XXth century or did they only stroke collector issues ?
Thank you for your help

Online <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: Circulation coinage, collector coins only, or fantasies ?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 12:48:07 AM »
Kiribati and Tuvalu used to issue their own circulation coins but stopped. Both now use the Australian dollar.

See: The Official Currencies and Coinages of Oceania.

All the other Commonwealth countries and territories you mention have had their own circulation coinage since the 20th century.

As for the others: Liechtenstein, Vatican, San Marino, Madeira, I don't know - maybe others can help.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Offline MORGENSTERNN

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 01:00:55 AM »
As for the others: Liechtenstein, Vatican, San Marino, Madeira, I don't know - maybe others can help.

Thank you !
So only 4 still remains

Online <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 01:09:05 AM »
The real issue here is not "Circulation coinage or fantasies", but whether a country or territory has only ever issued collector coins. BVI, TDC and Turks and Caicos are good examples of territories that have never produced their own circulation coinage (at least in modern times, i.e. the 20th century onwards).

A fantasy is an unofficial piece of metal that has been made to look like a coin. Sometimes fantasies aim to deceive: there have been so called "coins" for the Nicobar Islands, Alderney, etc., which in fact were mere fantasies - i.e. not coins at all. Alderney does in fact issue its own collector coins. Some fantasies do aim to deceive, but most do not - they are just fun items.

So, I really think this topic is in the wrong board. It would fit better in the "Coin Collecting" board, in my opinion. But you may not agree.  ;)

Offline MORGENSTERNN

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 01:13:18 AM »
So, I really think this topic is in the wrong board. It would fit better in the "Coin Collecting" board, in my opinion. But you may not agree.  ;)
You're right
I was really hesitating about post it in "coin collecting" or "fantasies" board

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 04:31:14 AM »

I can vouch for Vatican since in one of my two visits, I did get 50 cents of Vatican from their post office as circulation coin.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 08:48:19 AM »
Been to Liechtenstein. They use Swiss money. Local coin dealer said the modern coin were issued for collectors and did not circulate.

The function of the Vatican post office was (no longer, the post office now has stamps only) to issue the 50 cents, but they are withdrawn from circulation immediately and can be found only in souvenir shops (witness the experience of the WoC group in Rome end of last year.

Madeira coins could circulate in Portugal. They were found there occasionally.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline MORGENSTERNN

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 10:09:47 AM »
Been to Liechtenstein. They use Swiss money. Local coin dealer said the modern coin were issued for collectors and did not circulate.

What about the 1 Krone KM-2 ?
I got an example dated 1904 and it looks like circulation coin but I may be wrong

The function of the Vatican post office was (no longer, the post office now has stamps only) to issue the 50 cents, but they are withdrawn from circulation immediately and can be found only in souvenir shops (witness the experience of the WoC group in Rome end of last year.

The Vatican case is difficult : I think there is not enough people living there to justify coinage
For the modern coins I also think they are only collector issues (even with a legal tender) and they are not found with sign of wearing as Papal States coins.
But what about the first coins as the 5 Lires KM-7 ?
I got a 1935 example and I wonder if such issues never circulate
The case is the same for San Marino

Madeira coins could circulate in Portugal. They were found there occasionally.
For those coins as for the Azores coins stoke in the 80' I was not sure if they were specific issues for those islands or only commemorative coins from Portugal like the "Balearic" 5 Pesetas coins from Spain (KM-981)

Online <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 10:16:11 AM »
See also my topic: Official "circulation-like" sets.

Somebody should make an alphabetical list of the modern countries and territories that have issued collector coins but have never issued a circulation coinage.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Circulation coinage, collector coins only, or fantasies ?
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 12:12:51 PM »

I have a BU set from Lichtenstein...which has Swiss coins in it. ;)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS ยท UK
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 12:42:12 PM »
(Liechtenstein)
What about the 1 Krone KM-2 ?
I got an example dated 1904 and it looks like circulation coin but I may be wrong

Yes those early ones are often found in circulated grades - they followed the Austrian standards so I would assume they were good in Austria too.  In 1924 they switched to Swiss standards so I assume these followed the same principle.

The Vatican case is difficult : I think there is not enough people living there to justify coinage
For the modern coins I also think they are only collector issues (even with a legal tender) and they are not found with sign of wearing as Papal States coins.
But what about the first coins as the 5 Lires KM-7 ?
I got a 1935 example and I wonder if such issues never circulate
The case is the same for San Marino
Vatican coins were good across Italy - just like the Euros,  they could occasionally be found in change.  I assume the pre war series were the same....

For those coins as for the Azores coins stoke in the 80' I was not sure if they were specific issues for those islands or only commemorative coins from Portugal like the "Balearic" 5 Pesetas coins from Spain (KM-981)
The Azores and Madeira 25 Escudos are part of the standard Portuguese issues as far as I know.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline onecenter

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 12:57:19 PM »
The Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda and the Cayman Islands each have their own monetary unit of one dollar equaling 100 cents.  I have found coins in circulation from all four entities regularly over my previous 47 years of collecting.  The Bahamian and Bermudian dollars are freely linked to the US dollar, 1:1.
Mark

Online <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 01:14:26 PM »
The Azores and Madeira 25 Escudos are part of the standard Portuguese issues as far as I know.

So they are simply Portuguese coins celebrating the Azores and Madeira - just as UK coins have celebrated the four nations, but without including their names, in these cases.