News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Abraham Lincoln's Portrait on US Penny

Started by Bimat, April 18, 2014, 04:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

I just saw this interesting tweet by OMG Facts on twitter (@OMGFacts). I wonder if it's true?

A real, restored (and recolored) picture of Abraham Lincoln from 1862. They used this picture to make the penny.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

rajiv

Quote from: Bimat on April 18, 2014, 04:37:25 PM
I just saw this interesting tweet by OMG Facts on twitter (@OMGFacts). I wonder if it's true?

A real, restored (and recolored) picture of Abraham Lincoln from 1862. They used this picture to make the penny.

Aditya
bimat ji , is there something special in 1990 lincoln one cent as i have many with no S mint mark coins of the same year .

Bimat

Quote from: rajiv on August 03, 2016, 04:41:17 PM
bimat ji , is there something special in 1990 lincoln one cent as i have many with no S mint mark coins of the same year .

Those 'No 'S'' cents were struck in proof only and are quite scarce (expect few thousand dollars for a coin in decent condition).

Are you sure you have 'many' of those? :o

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

chrisild

Guess that a penny (one cent coin) without a mintmark will be a regular one from Philadelphia. :) While the "D" for example appears on all coins produced in Denver, the "P" is used with certain denominations and types only.

Christian

Pabitra

Nearly 7 billion penny coins were minted in 1990 in Philadelphia mint.
It should barely fetch anything more than a penny.

Bimat

I'm confused. Wasn't he talking about 'No S' mint mark? I checked up in SCWC and it shows price of few thousand dollars for that variety? Or am I missing something?

Aditya

Pabitra

Can the owner of several pieces of that Penny put up the images?

chrisild

Quote from: Bimat on August 04, 2016, 06:43:00 AM
I'm confused. Wasn't he talking about 'No S' mint mark? I checked up in SCWC and it shows price of few thousand dollars for that variety? Or am I missing something?

The crucial question is, proof or not? A regular business strike "penny" without a mint mark would come from Philadelphia, and usually be worth $0.01 ... :) Now a proof penny without it - see here for example: http://www.pcgs.com/top100/coin9.aspx

Christian

chrisild

Oh, and as for your initial post ... sounds like a legend to me. Maybe somebody wanted to build a Civil War connection in, and thus came up with that story. :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_cent#Design

Christian

rajiv

Quote from: chrisild on August 04, 2016, 11:07:08 AM
The crucial question is, proof or not? A regular business strike "penny" without a mint mark would come from Philadelphia, and usually be worth $0.01 ... :) Now a proof penny without it - see here for example: http://www.pcgs.com/top100/coin9.aspx

Christian
yes sir , it is not a proof coin as i have 18 of them , photos are as follows . i know noting about foreign coins till date .

Bimat

OK, I got it. It's the proof only 'No S' coin that is scarce. Normal 'No S' coins are cheap. :)

See snapshot of concerned coin from SCWC.

Aditya

rajiv

Quote from: Bimat on August 04, 2016, 04:37:17 PM
OK, I got it. It's the proof only 'No S' coin that is scarce. Normal 'No S' coins are cheap. :)

See snapshot of concerned coin from SCWC.

Aditya
got it , thanks aditya sir