Author Topic: Travelling with Coins - India  (Read 2607 times)

Offline goldrocks

Travelling with Coins - India
« on: April 11, 2014, 02:06:03 PM »
Is it OK to carry the coin collection on flight (domestic) in India ? any restrictions or limits or do i require any documentation to carry them with me???
can someone help me with this. ???
one rule .... It's always better to have & repent than to repent without having it... ;)
(You may never know when you strike gold)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: Travelling with Coins - India
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 02:58:32 PM »
Never carried an entire collection but often travel with a packet of coins. The CRPF guys at security are almost always curious............but beware, most Indian Airlines have cut hand baggage allowances to 7 Kilo's and if you are acrrying only an album, it could weigh much more...... and the extra baggage charges are crazy.......

Amit

BTW, I would not try to put them in the cargo since they will show up on the X Ray machine and can be pilfered.

"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 06:41:19 AM »
Not carried collections of Domestic flights.
But As much as I know there is no restriction on carrying it within country.
Bound to raise some queries as its quite a bit of metal ...
Octroi / State taxes may come into play but thats after landing and normally not an issue ...
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 07:56:07 AM »
Carrying currency during this 4-5 weeks of election period is not recommended.

Even if it is collection  of coins because extensive screening being taken place at all levels at India Post , Courier services and airports etc.

However no restriction during normal periods as we observe in a year 10-12 exhibitions/auctions are taking place in almost  all corners of  country , large numbers of dealers/collectors are carrying their stuffs normally.

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 12:43:19 PM »
However no restriction during normal periods as we observe in a year 10-12 exhibitions/auctions are taking place in almost  all corners of  country , large numbers of dealers/collectors are carrying their stuffs normally.

Well, the number of auctions are much more. I believe almost 30 odd auctions annually these days. Mumbai has 8 in the second half of April.

Most dealers prefer to transport their material by train rather than by air as excess baggage is charged @ 100 INR or more per Kg and free allowances are now slashed by most airlines to 15 Kg check in + 7 Kg in hand. Any dealer traveling for an exhibition will have much more and will also need to carry his clothes etc........

As regards carrying the coins, there is no restriction as long as you can prove ownership.

Amit

Offline goldrocks

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 03:02:17 PM »
Thanks for your replies n suggestions. today one of my friend who works in airport suggested me not to carry any old or gold or silver coins by air Think, train is the next best option not ready to take any chances.
one rule .... It's always better to have & repent than to repent without having it... ;)
(You may never know when you strike gold)

Offline Supernic

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 05:20:09 PM »
What does it mean-- if you can prove ownership? I don't have any receipts for some coins I bought, so can they be confiscated by the airport authorities?

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 02:59:44 AM »
What does it mean-- if you can prove ownership?
Normally the airport security - especially at the busy airports have no time to look for anything except for banned substances. However, carrying large quantities of Gold coins (especially the tokens - could arouse suspicion. Also. during election times (and my comment was made at one such time), there are special forces looking out for material (it is not only always cash) being transferred to woo voters.... and at such times, it is imperative to be able to prove that thiese were your own coins and were a part of your own collection and were not to be used for any unlawful activities.........
Quote from: Supernic link=topic=26694.msg233849#msg233849 date=1478362809
I don't have any receipts for some coins I bought, so can they be confiscated by the airport authorities?[/quote
Well, most people will have no receipts and even if one has them, one will not carry them around. No law officer will confiscate a few coins unless he has some inkling that it is stolen property or is to be used for some illegal activities........... I was once told by an officer on duty at the luggage screening machine that they could normally be able to pin point a person who needs 'more attention' by the way he behaves than looking at the contents in his luggage that shows up on the monitor.

Amit

Offline jazz

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 07:04:48 AM »
I've carried my collection (approx. 6 kgs, silver, copper and few gold coins) from Calcutta to Goa via Bombay. The CRPF at both Calcutta and Bombay airports were curious, but they don't bother once I showed them the coins. So I confirm it is OK. I was lucky my hand baggage wasn't weighed, I'd have had to pay excess baggage.

I'd recommend putting the coins securely so they might not fall or you lose them since there can be long queues at security check points. I would not recommend putting them in the checked in baggage though.

Hope it helps,

Vishal