Belize: 1974 Proof Set

Started by Bimat, April 06, 2014, 03:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

There's a long story of how I got this set; if anyone is really interested then only I'd tell that here. ;)

Beautiful set, isn't it? :)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

<k>

They are well designed and by Michael Rizzello. Although the set is an official issue, it was a Franklin Mint "circulation-like" set for collectors only. The coins did not circulate. The actual Belizean coins are rather plain and show the effigy of Queen Elizabeth II, not the coat of arms. Franklin Mint did a few such issues for other countries.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Bimat

Quote from: <k> on April 06, 2014, 03:44:28 PM
Although the set is an official issue, it was a Franklin Mint "circulation-like" set for collectors only. The coins did not circulate. The actual Belizean coins are rather plain and show the effigy of Queen Elizabeth II, not the coat of arms. Franklin Mint did a few such issues for other countries.

Thanks! Didn't realize that the coins show CoA and not Queen's portrait! (As I did not take the coins out of the set)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

eurocoin

Beautiful set, but now I also want to know the story  :P

Bimat

Quote from: eurocoin on April 15, 2014, 08:33:44 PM
Beautiful set, but now I also want to know the story  :P

Sure, glad to know that someone is ready to read my blah blah blah. :D ;D However you will have to wait for some time as I'm having bit difficulty in typing (again a long story :P)

Aditya

Bimat

OK, so here you go...

I saw this set listed on eBay by a Dortmund based seller with starting bid of €0.99. I had seen similar set being sold by same seller for over €30 so I was pretty sure that I won't be bidding on it. I saw a bid of €18 when there were still couple of hours remaining for the auction to end. So I decided to place a maximum bid of €18.50 and surprisingly, no one was interested in it for next two hours or so, so happened to get it for €18.50. :o

The problem was yet to start though. I knew that the set will be caught by customs here in Mumbai as it was quite heavy (leather box + coins) which I wanted to avoid. I had a friend studying in Dortmund and I just pinged him if he was planning India trip anytime soon (that was somewhere in October last year) and luckily, he was to visit India in December during Christmas. :D So I had a long conversation with my friend and the dealer to get the things in order, the seller was just 2.5km away from where my friend was staying and the seller handed over the coins (I had won few other coins as well) personally to my friend! 8) And in January this year, I finally got the set in my hands when we had our get-together... :) That was some nice networking exercise for me I must say...

Aditya

Figleaf

Proper networking is just another one of those thing they don't tell you about in school and that is so important at work. Just knowing who is in a position to do a good job needed somewhere else has value. Coin collecting will help you get the networking skill, the patience, the interest in others and the tolerance of people doing things differently. Even in retirement, a good network provides fun and sometimes even an income. It does for me.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

kwcoin

Nice coin set. Cool story. Well you know the saying. It's not who you know ?............................. > :D

Bimat

Quote from: kwcoin on April 25, 2014, 11:44:09 AM
Nice coin set. Cool story. Well you know the saying. It's not who you know ?............................. > :D

Thanks! :D

Actually my friend was about to throw away the box because he found it too bulky to carry but somehow he didn't do that! He however brought it very carefully, well packaged. It took over half an hour to unpack the box from the protective plastic bags! :o

Aditya

eurocoin

Well, all the networking paid off   :) Well done!