Author Topic: Portuguese India: Uma (1) Rupia, 1882  (Read 11219 times)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Portuguese India: Uma (1) Rupia, 1882
« on: January 01, 2009, 11:06:45 AM »
D.Luiz Filippe succeeded his brother to the throne of Portugal on November 11, 1861. He reigned until October 19, 1889.

The currency of Portuguese India was changed to a new standard as a result of the Luso-Britannic Convention of 1880 with the silver rupee (Uma Rupia), eleven-twelfths pure silver .916 fine and weighing 11.66 grams. Half-rupee (Meia Rupia), quarter-rupee (Quarto De Rupia), and eighth-rupee (Oitavo De Rupia) as divisions were minted at both the Calcutta and Bombay mints to the same standards corresponding to the coinage of British India. The rupee and half-rupee were struck dated 1881 and 1882, while the quarter-rupee and eight-rupee were issued only in 1881. A copper coinage was issued dated 1881,1884,1886 and 1888 with a much higher mintage.

Obverse Bare head of Luiz I left, LUDOVICUS I PORTUG ET ALGARB REX 1882 (Luiz I, King of Portugal and the Algarve, 1882)

Reverse Crowned plain shield, having on it seven castle towers, surrounding a cross made of five shields, all within wreath of laurel and oak; INDIA PORTUGUEZA UMA RUPIA (Portuguese India, 1 Rupee)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 03:52:39 PM by Overlord »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Portuguese India: Uma (1) Rupia, 1882
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 01:43:42 PM »
An amazingly European coin. Not a single concession to India. Interesting info on the convention of 1880. Apparently, the British had understood that the status quo was as good as controlling those little remaining Portuguese spots, while the Portuguese understood the commercial interest of a common standard on the coins.

It is sometimes difficult to distinguish between laurel and olive, but when the branch wears short round fruit, it is olive.

This one would also fit nicely in the "moustaches on coins" collection suggested here.

Peter
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 01:45:14 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

BC Numismatics

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 12:12:17 AM »
D.Luiz Filippe succeeded his brother to the throne of Portugal on November 11, 1861. He reigned until October 19, 1889.

The currency of Portuguese India was changed to a new standard as a result of the Luso-Britannic Convention of 1880 with the silver rupee (Uma Rupia), eleven-twelfths pure silver .916 fine and weighing 11.66 grams. Half-rupee (Meia Rupia), quarter-rupee (Quarto De Rupia), and eighth-rupee (Oitavo De Rupia) as divisions were minted at both the Calcutta and Bombay mints to the same standards corresponding to the coinage of British India. The rupee and half-rupee were struck dated 1881 and 1882, while the quarter-rupee and eight-rupee were issued only in 1881. A copper coinage was issued dated 1881,1884,1886 and 1888 with a much higher mintage.

Amit,
  That is very nice.Portuguese Indian coins have always been a very tough coinage series to collect.I once had a 1/2 Rupia,plus an 1/8 Tanga from the coinage of King Luis,whose title was actually 'King of Portugal & the Algarve'.

Brazil became independent in 1822 as a monarchy under Emperor Pedro I (ruled 1822-31),& remained so until the overthrow of Emperor Pedro II in November 1889.

Prior to 1871,Damao,Diu,& Goa all issued their own coins.The Goan 1 Tanga occasionally turns up,but they are all pretty scarce to rare.

Aidan.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 12:46:05 AM by translateltd »

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 03:53:32 PM »
Aidan, thanks a ton for the correction and the additional info.

Offline $$

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 10:55:13 AM »
Dear All

Please find the image of 1881 Coin from Portugueze  India

Need some comment from all experts

Samir
S
  S
     S

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 12:44:03 PM »
Very nice find, Samir. These coins are hard to find.

This coin could do with some cleaning. Try rubbing it gently with an old soft cloth (old baby clothes are perfect. If that doesn't help, try a soft eraser. If that also doesn't help, let us know and we'll try something harsher.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline sdchaugule

• sdchaugule
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 01:23:35 PM »
This is India Portugueza UMA Rupia 1881. This is silver coin and available for about Rs 4000. Where did you get this and what price? Get it cleaned under Peter’s guidance.

Offline $$

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 05:34:01 AM »
Dear Sir

Thanks for suggestion, guide and help (I follow your instruction) I was afraid that if i try to clean the coin, may be it worse the coin condition so i didn't tried.

Just want to know its rare or common.

Samir

This coin could do with some cleaning. Try rubbing it gently with an old soft cloth (old baby clothes are perfect. If that doesn't help, try a soft eraser. If that also doesn't help, let us know and we'll try something harsher.

Peter
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 05:46:19 AM by SAMIR »
S
  S
     S

Offline $$

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 05:53:39 AM »
Dear Friend

I have no idea from where did i get the same because it is with me from my childhood in my collection and due to blackishness of the coin it was kept in my coin box uninterestly, just the courisity the the date mention 1881 and protuqueze india i posted the same to get some knowledge.

Just to know why it is called UMA Rupia 1881 ?

After cleaning i will post it again.

Samir

This is India Portugueza UMA Rupia 1881. This is silver coin and available for about Rs 4000. Where did you get this and what price? Get it cleaned under Peter’s guidance.
S
  S
     S

Offline bart

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 01:02:40 PM »
UMA is Portuguese for ONE, so instead of putting "1 RUPIA", they put the denomination in written: "UMA RUPIA"

Bart

Offline $$

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 05:48:46 AM »
Dear Sir

Please find the clean Picture of the coinm hope that it is much better.

Samir

Peter
S
  S
     S

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 06:58:15 AM »
On the right photograph  , the face is with some countermarks or wear ?

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline $$

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 10:03:10 AM »
I have no idea about the countermark or wear

It looks like a wear.

Samir

On the right photograph  , the face is with some countermarks or wear ?

Cheers ;D
S
  S
     S

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 09:54:07 PM »
Excellent result, Samir! As far as I can judge from the picture, the patina is preserved and the coin looks just great. I am also wondering about the three punches. If you turn the coin 45° against the clock, they look a bit like STP, which, in a catholic environment, could be Saint Peter (not me!)

Peter

Offline $$

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 05:30:35 AM »
Thanks for your appriciation and advice

I am not able to understand about this lines. (As know we are learner)

(If you turn the coin 45° against the clock, they look a bit like STP, which, in a catholic environment, could be Saint Peter (not me!)

Samir

Excellent result, Samir! As far as I can judge from the picture, the patina is preserved and the coin looks just great. I am also wondering about the three punches. If you turn the coin 45° against the clock, they look a bit like STP, which, in a catholic environment, could be Saint Peter (not me!)

Peter
S
  S
     S