News:

The Grand Event: an all-stars happening. Make sure you don't miss it!

Main Menu

Odom Wiggins, Chicago, Ill.

Started by malj1, April 06, 2014, 04:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

This unusual style Odom Wiggins slot machine token came in a collection purchased recently.

ODOM - WIGGINS PAT. PEND. Rev. AMUSEMENT ONLY NO CASH OR TRADE VALUE all incuse, brass, 21.2mm [Chicago 150 ODO]

A search revealed another this time with the helpful reverse legend: 932 W. WRIGHTWOOD AVE. CHICAGO, ILL.

This latter image is B/W so unable to tell if it brass or WM; both types are listed for this in Alpert & Smiths, Video Arcade, Pinball, Slot Machine and other Amusement Tokens of North America, 1984. Further types listed are both with centre hole and without centre hole.

Odom Wiggins  was a manufacturer of gambling machines in the 1890's. These tokens are the same size as a nickel. They all have beveled edges on each of the spokes, to help the machine mechanism reject slugs and sort the tokens into the payout tube and nickels into the cash box.

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Kushi

These tokens are no earlier than 1909. In that year the Chicago street numbering reform came into effect. Previously there was no such location as 932 West Wrightwood Avenue.

malj1

That is useful to know and helps date these. Unfortunately most listings are taken from tokencatalog.com which frequently has the wrong information shown as I have mentioned before.

However the token without address could be earlier, I need to find a possible previous address and information about dating of the business.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.