Author Topic: Comments and Suggestions for Islamic World Board  (Read 2936 times)

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Comments and Suggestions for Islamic World Board
« on: March 29, 2014, 01:05:19 PM »
All,

The Index of the Islamic World sub-board is slowly growing. Stealing the format of Ram (Quant.Geek) i added this thread to
accommodate all your comments (positive & negative) and any suggestions on improving this board and its Index. Every suggestion will be taken into consideration. One of the things that already has been suggested is also to add some maps, that's on the to-do-list. Please note however that a lot of work still has to be done, and i can do only one thing at a time.

Anthony

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Comments and Suggestions for Islamic World Board
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 02:54:23 PM »
 :applause: :applause: :applause:

Indexes are what adds the useful to the amusing. Every index is a resource for the world. At the same time, your last sentence is of utmost importance. Constructing an index should be and remain fun, not a duty. That fun will translate in quality and complete the circle.

Many words, one thought: I like it!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 12:56:43 PM »
I know how much time it takes, but it really is worth the effort, for both the indexer and WoC...

A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 08:51:24 PM »
Thanks for the thumbs up !

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 10:34:51 PM »
Not really a comment, but I thought the following resource would help the Islamic collector.  The author transcribed a dizzying list of coins from various dynasties.  An indispensable resource totaling over 300 pages for anyone who wants to know what the inscription is...

Catalogue of Islamic Coins

« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 10:57:55 PM by Quant.Geek »
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 08:54:00 AM »
It shifts the problem to modern Arabic. Here's what Google translate wrought of the description of the first coin:

ra seemed
1 Alojz : 􀀸sorh Emperor standing face Yelp 􀁺s a long dress with a blueprint on 􀁻scal Aofiqi
Rao 􀀶sh crown surmounted 􀀸sil, Wim 􀁺sk 􀀸sil his right hand and his hand to 􀁺sry 􀀸sil, in percentage to 􀁺sar
At the end of a long 􀀸sogana 􀀸sil, in percentage right 􀀸sil aa 􀀶sfielh star.
The hr, in Alo 􀀶st: the letter m 􀁼sgeir topped 􀀸sil, in percentage RIGHT Wei 􀁺sar the 􀁼sil granule,
In percentage to 􀁺sar c ◊ in percentage right, outside the scope of the mold, an important line 􀁻sa, the remnants of a circle of
Foreign granules.
Weight: 3.6 grams. Distance: 21 26. the hub:
primitive style and pain 􀁺skokh the triangular 􀁻scal a quarter Qr 􀀸s.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 09:35:06 AM »
Ram, thanks for the link.
As Figleaf notes, the basis of the text in Arab may be an horde for some people. But the overview of coins is impressive and its is usually very clear which part describes the legend. So certainly helpfull !

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 01:22:28 PM »
A useful link for a panoramic view of islamic coinage. I had my fun, too, with Google Translate. You can have it read out for you as well: I was startled to recognize some names that I wasn't able to read.
-- Paul

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 10:25:55 AM »
Here's a thought that came up when Manzikert showed us some fantastic glass coin weights. Let nothing stop indexers from adding a thread on another board to their index. Cross indexing will help, not hinder.

Peter

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 10:51:24 AM »
Dear Peter,

Agree that the boards impose no strict borders on the indexes.
In fact, we already did just that. There are already some crosslinks beteeen the Ancient Indian, Islamic and Early Sultanate boards on subject which fitted in more than one board.

Anthony