Author Topic: Lay scientists?  (Read 3368 times)

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Re: Lay scientists?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2016, 12:16:00 PM »
I'll volunteer for French telephone tokens of 2000-2014  >:D
I might extend that to the 20th century but I have much to do.  Hopefully my fellow members of the ACJM will help me out 8)

Have you thought any more of this idea?

I know very little about coding so I borrowed a little piece of andyg's design and changed the text to suit what I wanted then just repeated it ad infinitum. It is then quite simple.

[Don't tell him!:o
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline izotz

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2016, 01:02:19 PM »
"Coding" is the easy part. For anybody having issues editing the wiki, give me a shout. Not that I know about every single feature about it, but we'll find out together how to make it nicer.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2016, 01:21:31 PM »
This old dog has learned quite a few new tricks in the last few years but I am not getting very far with the coding although I can adapt it to suit me just a little.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline redwine

• liaison officer
  • Honorary Member
  • Too old to care.
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2016, 09:23:51 PM »
Erm.  I've been doing my bit for Viktor so I'll pass  :)
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2016, 11:39:01 PM »
Malcolm has an excellent point. The content of WoT is generated by a handful of people. Not enough to be sustainable. One of them doesn't use the software but sends his contributions to andyg or me and we place it for him. Fair enough. Malcolm's copy-paste method (I use it also for effects I don't know how to produce) works. There are really basic onsite instructions on WoT that will get done 90% of what you want to do. Where there's a will...

However, we have far more spammer registrations than registered users and even fewer active users. That generates another problem. When it comes to tokens, Malcolm is the emperor. He can cover a whole subject by himself. Most people can't do that. Potential contributors may be thinking they ought to pull a Malcolm. Not so. If you are enthusiastic about any token subject, just start up, egg on others and see how far you can get. That's all. Really. In calmer days, I will contribute to just about any subject started on WoT, if only to encourage others, unless Malcolm has pulled another rabbit out of his hat. The important thing is to get something going. Taking it to wherever you can take it is only the next step.

As an example, I want to have concise histories of all local bus/tram systems. I have done a few, but I can't do all of them. I want local coats of arms on pages with tokens that have them. Eminently possible, but I have no time now. I want badges and buttons that show the logo on bus/tram tokens in technicolor. Doable, but labour-intensive. Andyg is working furiously to get pictures of all bus/tram tokens. Will he ever be able to finish that project? Not without help. Someone posted a cigarette machine token Malcolm didn't know about. Did it make him angry? I bet it did the opposite.

In reply #7 I have listed 12 token collectors. One doesn't want to participate. Let's aim for a modest 6 active contributors. Participating can only make you better.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.