Author Topic: BE 2015: Waterloo  (Read 8656 times)

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
Re: BE 2015: Waterloo
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 02:09:08 PM »
Somewhere in this debate, we all forgot the proposed design.

Here it is.

In my opinion, a beautiful design which does great job of highlighting the Lion memorial.

Indeed, it would have been one of the better designed Belgian coins.

It does honour my personal hero, the Duke of Wellington, who as a young man as Col.Arthur Wellesley performed brilliantly in Anglo- Mysore War ( Battle of Seringapatam ) and Anglo - Maratha War ( Battle of Assaye ) and contributed more  to tactics of battlefield than any one person in human history.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 02:41:32 PM »
Well, maybe we can have a coin commemorating the battle over the Battle of Waterloo design.  :D  That design would certainly have been preferable to another one with stars and flags (just as I groan when I see another Britannia design for the UK), but it's entirely up to the eurozone which designs they allow and do not. But it's good to see another unrealised design, so thank you, Pabitra.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2015, 11:47:05 AM »
In the UK we have the Royal Mint Advisory Committee, which uses its experience to avoid such controversy and sensitive issues. The eurozone, which is relatively young and still developing, needs something similar. The eurozone covers a large community, so there is more room for disagreement. It's not impossible, however, and a good start would be to avoid commemorating European battles and wars and to concentrate on cultural achievements. The press everywhere (and not just the British) loves controversy - harmony is rarely newsworthy. So the eurozone needs an advisory committee (or perhaps it already has one) and some way of stopping leaks about disagreements.

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2015, 11:55:32 AM »
It's funny how the French didn't object to a coin about D-Day, a battle that got the Germans under the thumb, but they DO object to one where they lost.

I'd say that the act of trying to reject this coin does MORE harm for unity than just allowing the coin. Did the D-Day coin have Germans getting all annoyed?

Offline kena

• UK-Yank
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2015, 11:41:49 PM »
So if anyone finds out information on how to obtain one of the 180,000 of the coins, could they please let me know?

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2015, 06:52:00 AM »
So if anyone finds out information on how to obtain one of the 180,000 of the coins, could they please let me know?

Considering that the Belgian mint has very poor quality control system, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the coins are 'leaked' in other €2 rolls.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2015, 07:25:53 AM »
They cannot release it in to circulation since it is not approved by ECB.
In a monetary union, Central bank of individual nations have to give up their right to decide on specifications of legal tender.
They can not issue this coin as legal tender of 2 Euro and can not change the denomination since they are already minted.
At best, they can sell it as pattern, in card, and sell it much above the "face value " as they did for Red Cross coin. That experience should stand them in good stead and help them in pricing.

Personally, I feel that the selling price of this pattern would easily be double that coin since topic and theme has attracted international attention.

In other words, France had helped a good cause by creating a controversary and for all you know, ultimate victory may be that of Belgian mint.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 07:42:07 AM by Pabitra »

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2015, 09:43:42 AM »
They cannot release it in to circulation since it is not approved by ECB.
In a monetary union, Central bank of individual nations have to give up their right to decide on specifications of legal tender.
They can not issue this coin as legal tender of 2 Euro and can not change the denomination since they are already minted.
At best, they can sell it as pattern, in card, and sell it much above the "face value " as they did for Red Cross coin. That experience should stand them in good stead and help them in pricing.

Personally, I feel that the selling price of this pattern would easily be double that coin since topic and theme has attracted international attention.

In other words, France had helped a good cause by creating a controversary and for all you know, ultimate victory may be that of Belgian mint.

Please don't give them new ideas to make more money. ;)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2015, 10:05:52 AM »
It's funny how the French didn't object to a coin about D-Day, a battle that got the Germans under the thumb, but they DO object to one where they lost.

They did not object since they issued the coin.
Germans did not protest since D Day landing were not the cause of German loss.
If one looks at I passionately, France issuing D Day coin indicates weakness of France who needed external help to get themselves liberated. Had some other opinions prevailed, France would have become colony of one of the victorious allied countries, very much like Poland, Czech etc.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2015, 03:27:04 PM »
Waterloo 2 euro commemorative coins will be destroyed
full video here http://www.rtl.be/videos/video/529117.aspx

On the other hand

Switzerland will issue a stamp this year celebrating the 500 years of the Battle of Marignagno ... which they lost !

This is Europe.

Offline kena

• UK-Yank
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2015, 01:34:48 PM »
You are speaking about collector coins rather than circulating coins.

For example, I like the fact that the US has serveral different backs on the quarters each year for quite a while now, as well as the changing the Native American dollar back each year, and for now, they have the President dollar series.

The UK Olympic 50 pence coins were a bit of an overload.

Ken

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2015, 01:37:24 PM »
You are speaking about collector coins rather than circulating coins.

Ken

Even with circulation coins, tastes vary, of course.

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2015, 01:42:42 PM »
Even with circulation coins, tastes vary, of course.

Yes they do. However in general most people would say that most 2 euro commemorative coins are pretty boring.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2015, 01:44:48 PM »
Yes they do. However in general most people would say that most 2 euro commemorative coins are pretty boring.

Another silly generalisation. Have you interviewed "most people" ?

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2015, 01:48:16 PM »
Another silly generalisation. Have you interviewed "most people" ?

I'm sorry if you're looking for a fight, but I'm not interested.

I'm saying what I think.