News:

Read all about the Grand Numismatic Alliance

Main Menu

Bimetallic Coins

Started by Bimat, December 29, 2008, 09:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

Quote from: BC Numismatics on January 26, 2009, 07:07:58 AM
My boss is going to be on the look-out for a range of British Commonwealth coins for me when he is away in Berlin to do the coin show over there.Among the coins he will definitely be getting is the E.M.U. commemorative 2 Euros from Cyprus,Ireland,& Malta.Of course,he will be on the look out for coins such as the bimetallic 1 & 2 Naira from Nigeria,& the 500 Leones from Sierra Leone.

Aidan.
Hi Aidan,
You are lucky to have such a boss ;D.I hope you will get some very good bimetallic coins from him! I have the 2 Naira Bimetallic from Nigeria but not the 1 Naira and the Sierra Leone too :(
Switzerland also had their bimetallic issue,but I am not very sure whether it was for general circulation or available only in UNC/Proof sets.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Figleaf

The Swiss bi-metallics are sold separately shrink-wrapped above par.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

Depends. Customers in Switzerland can get them at face; that applies to both the 10 CHF bimetallic coins and the 20 CHF silver pieces. You can even order them from Swissmint at face plus shipping charges. Now collectors in countries where Swissmint has an official distributor cannot do that - they will indeed have to pay more.

Christian

Bimat

How rare is the Ghana 100 Cedis (old) bimetallic? Recently got it in a coin fair,and was lucky to get it for 70  INR (about 1.5$).The coin is dated 1997.I have same coin dated 1991 too.I asked the dealer about the latest 1 Cedi bimetallic also,but he was unaware of any such issue.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Bimat

Hi all,
You all will be pleased to know that finally I am getting the South Africa 5 Rand Nelson Mandela commemorative.Just met a person who is having the issue,and I am getting it for a fairly good price of about 6$ (on Joel Anderson's web page,it is listed for about 15$ and average e-bay price is about 10 $).Will be getting the coin in a week or so..

Aditya

Bimat

Here is one : Philippines 10 Piso (KM# 278),2003.Not a great design,though..

Bimat

This one is my favorite-Nigeria 2 Naira (2006).I particularly like the extremely reeded edge of the coin ;DNot listed in catalog..I haven't got the 1 Naira bimetallic yet..

Aditya

Figleaf

I suspect your great new camera can get the small letters above the building sharp. Just keep posting and you'll get more experience.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Bimat

Quote from: Figleaf on May 03, 2009, 11:30:01 AM
I suspect your great new camera can get the small letters above the building sharp. Just keep posting and you'll get more experience.

Peter
Ohh yes..This is the best photo I have got-a very nice German 2 Euro commemorative..

Aditya

Figleaf

Excellent! All details are sharp. Are you happy with the colours when you compare them with the coin?

Peter

Galapagos

Marconi_Design.gif

Here is a rejected design for the 2001 two pound commemorative design, honouring Marconi. The Royal Mint put up three designs on their website for public vote, the first time ever. This is the design I voted for. The winning design was by Robert Evans, one of the Royal Mint's own engravers.

Marconi_Avril_Vaughan.gif

The designers of the other designs were never identified by the Royal Mint. However, during a phone call with the numismatic designer Avril Vaughan in 2004, I discovered that she had designed this one. She was fiercely proud of her design, and adamant that such a design should always show the person being commemorated. I agreed, and was happy to tell her that I'd voted for her design without knowing that she was the designer.

The second image shows the other rejected Marconi design. I don't know which artist was responsible for this one, but it's preferable to the winning design, which looked like a portrayal of barbed wire.

Bimat

These are quite impressive designs.Sad to hear that the designer couldn't win the competition. :( I liked the first design than the other..

Bimat

Here is another example: Indonesia 1000 Rupiah(KM# 56)
The same coin dated 1993 exists in two varieties,with date near to the edge and away from the edge.I don't know whether same variety exists in other dates.

Figleaf

The image could have been sharper if you hadn't moved the camera slightly. This is very difficult to avoid. Sometimes a heartbeat is sufficient to move the camera while you are making the picture. You can solve the problem by building a support for the camera. You just need to know the distance between the lens and the coin. The support may be as simple as two bricks or books or a carton box or, if you are feeling handy, two connected lattice frames. The important thing is that you can hang the camera over the coin at the right distance without touching it. Your camera probably has a setting for timing the shutter. This is usually meant for taking a picture of yourself, but it can also be used for taking a picture without holding the camera. An added advantage of a support is that it allows you to control the light.

Peter

Bimat

I'll keep that in mind.Will check for a tripod stand.Thanks for the advice :)