Author Topic: Bimetallic Coins  (Read 21024 times)

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
Re: Bimetallic Coins
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 08:01:41 PM »
Lesotho bi-metallic... See the second section on this page of mine...

http://www.wbcc.fsnet.co.uk/af-les.htm

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 08:14:42 PM »
You can add Latvia and San Marino. Contrary to that Stoltenhoff thing, these places actually have a population. ;)

Christian

BC Numismatics

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 08:17:52 PM »
Christian,
  Both the Stoltenhoff Island & Tristan da Cunha issues in addition to the 1 Crown medal-coins of Gough Island & Nightingale Island were all struck at the Commonwealth Mint in England on behalf of the Government of Tristan da Cunha.

Aidan.

translateltd

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 11:41:34 PM »
  Both the Stoltenhoff Island & Tristan da Cunha issues in addition to the 1 Crown medal-coins of Gough Island & Nightingale Island were all struck at the Commonwealth Mint in England on behalf of the Government of Tristan da Cunha.

"On behalf of" is debatable.  Did the Government of TdC initiate the issues and task the CM to strike them, or did the CM come up with the idea of making a quick buck and seek "approval" from the TdC to use its name?

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 08:28:22 AM »
Few more!
74.San Marino
75.Latvia
76.Rwanda
77.Senegal
78.Togo
79.Saharawi
80.Uruguay
81.Benin
82.Cameroon
83.Chad
84.Gabon
85.Niger
86.Burkina Faso
87.Central African States
88.Easter Islands
89.Galapagos
90.Kurdistan
91.Libya
92.Syppo
93.Tristan De Cunha
94.Stoltenhoff Island
95.Bosnia-Herzegovina
96.Cabinda
97.Croatia
98.Ukraine
 I am now feeling quite frustrated after viewing this huge list :o
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 11:21:41 AM »
I am now feeling quite frustrated after viewing this huge list :o

Nah, you shouldn't. :) There are a couple of pseudo-countries issuing pseudo-coins in that list. Maybe you can focus on "recognized countries" first (UN members, countries that have diplomatic relations with them, etc.) and eventually deal with places such as the Easter Island, Galapagos or Kurdistan later ...

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2008, 11:58:08 AM »
Christian is quite right, I think (he usually is). You have quite a few fantasies (non-countries and non-coins) on your list now. Why bother with those? Not only will concentrating on real coins save you the frustration of learning that fantasies you have bought are not coins, you also don't oblige yourself to pay large amounts of money to the likes of the Commonwealth Mint, Italcambio, the Franklin Mint and their ilk who are out to discourage collectors like you in order to fatten their wallet.

Don't worry about your collection being "complete". That doesn't exist. There is always a coin you can't find or can't afford. Coin collections aim to tell a story, in your case the story of a minting technique. That doesn't even require completeness. In fact, a picture, a newspaper article or a video clip on how bi-metallic coins are produced will fit much better in your collection than a commercial fantasy. Also, completeness is superbly boring (have you ever seen a date set of modern Swiss coins?) It is very important not to listen to those who insist everything metallic and round is a coin and you "must have it". They are dead wrong, it's not their money and you have the right to decide for yourself what to collect. This also means that if you want to collect these spurious issues later, you still can.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

translateltd

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2008, 08:01:59 PM »
Impossible, yes, but there are some who try, although maybe over a more restricted time scale.  We know one enthusiast at coins_club and coinquestion on Yahoogroups who is trying to assemble not just every type but also every year of 20th century world coinage.  I believe he's up to about 27,000 coins and still going.  I do fear that collecting becomes more of a "check-list" exercise at that point, but he will never run out of things to look for that way!

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 10:24:27 PM »
Here is a bi-metallic coin I acquired recently.

Kenya 20 Shillings 2005.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 10:47:09 PM »
Here is another...

Rwanda 100 Francs 2007.

thanks Mr Paul Baker

BC Numismatics

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2009, 11:11:25 PM »
Here is a bi-metallic coin I acquired recently.

Kenya 20 Shillings 2005.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Paul,
  That's a very nice pick-up.I've got the Kenya 2005 5/- & 10/- coins,but the 20/- I have got is the 1998 one.

The odd one out in the Kenyan bimetallic coin series is the 2003 circulating commemorative 40/- coin,whose denomination reminds me of the Scots 40/- coin (an example from the reign of William & Mary I do have in my collection,along with a 20/- of King William II of Scotland alone).

Aidan.

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2009, 11:50:56 PM »
The Kenyan 40/- coin was for 40 years of Kenyan Independence.

More info at...

http://www.wbcc.fsnet.co.uk/af-ken.htm

I now have the 50c, 1/-, 5/-, 10/- and 20/- for 2005 - others were planned but none exist with collectors as far as I know. My pages will be updated before too long.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009, 07:38:01 PM »
The Rwanda bimetallic is really a great piece.In-fact,I love African bimetallics than any other bimetallics after Euro,especially because of their themes and designs.One such nice bimetallic is that from Nigeria 2 Naira issued in 2006.I am looking for South Africa  Nelson Mandela 5 Rand commemorative bimetallic,both dated 2005 and 2008.I recently came to know that the mintage of this coin dated 2005 was only 2005.Is this number really true?
The Kenya 40 Shillings bimetallic is also difficult to find because of its short mintage.I need this one too for my collection.I have rest denominations.
Aditya.
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

BC Numismatics

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2009, 07:57:57 PM »
Aditya,
  I'm not aware of any Nelson Mandela commemoratives dated 2005.There was a 5 Rand in 2000 depicting Nelson Mandela,but it isn't a bimetallic coin though.I'm looking out for the 2008 Nelson Mandela's 90th. Birthday 5 Rand as well.

I was lucky to get the Kenyan 2003 40 Shillings for my collection.I haven't got the 2005 20 Shillings or the Somaliland 2005 400 Shillings either.

The Mauritian 2007 20 Rupees still eludes me though.

Aidan.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2009, 07:06:36 AM »
Hi Aidan,
I am sorry,but there is no issue of Mandela commemorative in the year 2005,but the mintage of same for the year 2008 is 2005.I was confused.Sorry again.I also haven't got Mandela bimetallic.I guess I will have to contact some collector from South Africa to get this coin.