Author Topic: New pound coins in 2017  (Read 77829 times)

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
Re: New pound coins in 2017
« Reply #480 on: August 08, 2018, 09:34:45 PM »
According to BBC Wales, 169 million round pound coins have not yet been returned. Approximately 138 million round pound coins of the total of 1.5 billion that were returned were melted down and the alloys used to make the 12-sided counterpart.

In the grand scheme of things it isnít all that many.  In 1984, 146 million were issued.  Looking at it like that, it would mean every £1 for all other dates 1983, 1985 to 2015 have been returned.  Plus that 139 million includes coins deliberately saved (Iíve probably got at least 100 myself).

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #481 on: December 10, 2018, 07:51:30 PM »

It appears that for at least 6 months there already have been counterfeit new 1 pound coins in circulation. For a long time there was uncertainty about this as none of the finders of the coins wanted to have their piece professionally examined. A photo of one of these counterfeit pieces can be found above. It has 15 reeds on the edge instead of 13, the latent image doesn't work properly, there is no micro lettering around he rim and it is lighter and larger than a genuine pound coin. One of the visible characteristics of it is the die crack under the lettering "one pound". An attempt to locate the counterfeiting ring by mapping the finds of the coins, a method that has proven its reliability in the past, was in this case to no avail. Based on the alloys used it is safe to assume the ring is located somewhere in Europe. The pieces will be XRF tested and will possibly also tested by The Royal Mint to see if they have the high security feature embedded into them. This is so far the only known type of counterfeit new 1 pound coin.

Images and research not my own, conclusion my own.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • GŲteborg, Sverige
« Reply #482 on: December 10, 2018, 10:29:42 PM »
You have to wonder why they go to the trouble of forging the £1 coin, with all its added security features, when the £2 has fewer such features and yields twice the profit.

That said, I've only ever come across one fake £2 in the wild (I've seen a handful of others in the possession of collectors) compared to literally hundreds of fake brass £1s.