Author Topic: Coin Albums  (Read 7430 times)

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
Re: Coin Albums
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 04:47:15 PM »
Coin Flips something like this,
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Coin-Holders-of-2x2-With-Pulling-Knob-Unc-/221392752882?pt=IN_Coins_Notes&hash=item338c0950f2&_uhb=1

Sheets to hold the flips [Not a must, you can put the flips in a shoe box for time being or any such box
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Coin-Holder-Sheet-of-2x2-Pack-of-20-sheets-/321353516749?pt=IN_Coins_Notes&hash=item4ad22986cd&_uhb=1

And Ring Binder to put the sheets
Can pick up from any stationary store.
Although the quality of flips from this dealer is not good. Other items are good.

The best as Aditya said would be outside India, the shipping
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline alwayspete

• Independent India-UNC-Commemorative coins
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 06:28:45 PM »
Avoid for UNC. These are not good. These albums are OK for beginner to put circulation coins. I have used these and right now its empty ...
Issues:
The plastic is horrible. It sticks like anything in few months.
The coins move and are not stationary, so coins will scratch other coins, and plastic will scratch coins
The luster of coins goes away 100% guarantee.

I have a coin album that has 240 pockets. Bought it thinking it would be great to display my coins. In just 2 days time the BUNC coins stored in the album gets a thin smoky layer & looses it luster. Then I need to take out each coin out individually and wipe of the thin smoky coating. The brilliant luster gets right back.

Did you mean that you've used the exact kind of album, that stores 560 coins and was disappointed? Could you please let me know where I can find and buy an ideal album for preserving UNC/BUNC coins in India? Could you get one for me from abroad if possible? Thanks.

Pete :)

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 06:31:34 PM »
I have a coin album that has 240 pockets. Bought it thinking it would be great to display my coins. In just 2 days time the BUNC coins stored in the album gets a thin smoky layer & looses it luster. Then I need to take out each coin out individually and wipe of the thin smoky coating. The brilliant luster gets right back.

Aren't these coin flips the paper pockets that uses staple pins to hold the pocket together? I had used them. They aren't good either for preserving coins.

Did you mean that you've used the exact kind of album, that stores 560 coins and was disappointed? Could you please let me know where I can find and buy an ideal album for preserving UNC/BUNC coins in India? Could you get one for me from abroad if possible? Thanks.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Coin Albums
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 02:16:19 PM »
IDEALLY, coins should never be kept into coin albums with direct contact with the plastic. Even if it's PVC free, it will have some effect on the coin as Dheer has already mentioned.

Having said that, I must also add that there's no 100% perfect method of storing coins. You just have to choose the best one... ;)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 05:54:57 PM »
Having said that, I must also add that there's no 100% perfect method of storing coins. You just have to choose the best one...

Aditya

That's sad news. Which is the best cost effective method available in India?

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Coin Albums
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2014, 07:59:18 AM »
Which is the best cost effective method available in India?

Stapled variety of coin holders. ::)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2014, 08:39:19 AM »
Stapled variety of coin holders. ::)

Aditya

What would a good quality stapled coin holder cost? Where do I find one?

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Coin Albums
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2014, 03:23:15 PM »
What would a good quality stapled coin holder cost? Where do I find one?

Any reputable dealer will have a stock of these. It usually costs about INR 75 for a pack of 50. I bought them long time back, so the price may not be correct, but it must be in the same range...

Aditya

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2014, 07:23:10 AM »
Any reputable dealer will have a stock of these. It usually costs about INR 75 for a pack of 50. I bought them long time back, so the price may not be correct, but it must be in the same range...

Aditya

Thanks Adi.

Offline Andrius

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2015, 08:06:51 AM »
Hi, i have suggestion to some collectors. I use simple coin flips, but I dont stamp them, I use standart PVC glue, ant as result, I have nice view in my albums ( no ugly staples ) and preserve coin from the air. Cheap and nice look.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2015, 04:29:43 PM »
I have done this also, but stopped and got self-adhesive cartons instead. The main reason was that I got tired of the extra work. Some points of experience:
  • Stick with the same brand name glue. Some glue will viciously attack your coins, even without contact
  • After years, glue will become brittle and will no longer attach. You can easily peel it off the carton interior and you'll have to start again.
  • Consequently, the carton is not airtight.
Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Coin Albums
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2015, 05:07:25 PM »
Absolutely agree with Peter! Since I'm an engineer, I'm bit lazy ;) and I always try to minimize my work. ;D I indeed tried the method Andrius suggested, but didn't  succeed. Finally gave up, got self adhesive holders from UK instead...

Aditya

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2015, 07:05:55 PM »
My observations are inevitably coloured by my collecting habits, so will not apply to all. Broadly, I am not that fussed what condition coins I buy are in, within reason. I would rather spend a modest sum on a perfectly legible Fine or Very Fine specimen that has seen use and history, and have money over for other purchases, than a larger sum on an Unc coin which can only deteriorate over time. If fate hands me Unc coins I won't complain, but I don't specifically go looking for them.

I was put off coin albums by the ones I had as a child, which caused all coins other than sterling silver to go green. This was partly caused by the substandard plastic used in the albums - this is no doubt possible to remedy as more expensive albums are available and plastics technology has moved on in 30-odd years. But another cause was damp. If you live 1 km from the sea at 60 degrees of latitude, the air is damp and most of the time cold. There is no escaping this. Even "good" plastic album pages trap the inherent moisture from the air and this has the obvious effect on metals that react with damp. Again, good quality silver (and gold - though this is irrelevant to me) is not a problem, but more or less every other metal used for coinage does not like damp.

I now use acid-free paper 2x2 flips. They have the drawback that you can't see the coin without opening the flip and removing the coin, and I can see how you might not want to do this with a BU coin where fingerprints would ruin it. But for most of my coins, they've seen countless fingerprints already. But I have noticed no deterioration in the coins as a result of contact with the paper, and the breathability of the paper and the cardboard boxes I use to store the paper flips mean that the coins are no more susceptible to damp than anything else in my life.

From a purely practical perspective, these also allow additions and rearrangements of one's collection. I remember as a kid having to spend significant time rearranging my UK decimal coins because I ran out of space for a denomination in an album. Now I can simply slot in the next year's issue as I acquire it. I appreciate that the same applies to plastic flips or stapled/glued 2x2 holders. Paper flips also give more space for writing information about the coin on.