Author Topic: Coin Albums  (Read 7433 times)

Offline alwayspete

• Independent India-UNC-Commemorative coins
Coin Albums
« on: March 18, 2014, 02:50:31 PM »
Hi Pete here,

Just got some BUNC Indian post 1947 coins. Have kept them tightly wrapped in plain paper for the time being.  I know that coins react with air. So keeping them in the open isn't a good idea. I was wondering if there are coin albums that can preserve the quality of these coins. I also got know recently that all coin albums aren't good for preserving the quality of the coins. That the plastic holders found in the albums react with the coins as well making them loose their luster. So where can I find a good quality album? Is there something such as a vacuum pressed coin album? If so how does one use it? Where is it available? I'm from India for folks who haven't met me before. Please let me know. Thanks.

Pete :)

Offline natko

• Meritorious Member
  • Split, Croatia
Re: Coin Albums
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 08:13:35 PM »
For a part of my collection I'm using Leuchtturm sheets, Optima system. Sleeves are quite firm (no softeners added) and should not harm coins. However, some 10 years ago outer plastic contained chlorine I guess since silver coins in sleeves did get just a touch of green within 1-2 years especially if they looked cleaned (some cleaning chemical obviously interacted with outer plastic). Luckily, I don't see that trend in last 7-8 years although of course is still not completely airtight, so I can recommend it.

For the other part I use coin holders from the same producer, self adhesive (to be airtight). It's maybe just a bit more expensive, but you save on binders, it's a standard A4 format for sheet holes that you can put anywhere. Big coins are problematic, but I bought Hartberger holders that are bigger although I can say it's much lower production quality, uneven, full of crumbs that you have to be careful not to lock on coin while sealing (those damn crumbs, like from all sources will ruin coins, especially UNC). But they guarantee reaction-free plastic, so I suppose it's also good.
I always thought holders use bad plastic, but nowadays that's definitely not the case. If I started again, maybe I would organize all in holders.

Be careful with paper. I was doing the same as you do (before getting enough coins from a country to organize it in albums), only to realize paper greatly affects coins. I guess it's better to wrap them in plastic for food or these plastic bags you can buy in any electronic store.

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 02:51:57 AM »

I always thought holders use bad plastic, but nowadays that's definitely not the case. If
Be careful with paper. I was doing the same as you do (before getting enough coins from a country to organize it in albums), only to realize paper greatly affects coins. I guess it's better to wrap them in plastic for food or these plastic bags you can buy in any electronic store.

I don't think any of those albums that you've mentioned are available in India. But thanks for your input though. Everything helps. Yes I'll remove them from paper immediately and wrap them tightly in plastic for the time being until I find a good coin album in India. Thanks

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Coin Albums
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 04:03:57 AM »
Get good quality coin holders first. :) You will find lot of discussion about coin holders (self adhesive as well as stapled variety) on forum... (How to get them, where to get them in India etc etc)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 04:34:59 AM »
Get ride of the paper. Paper is not best storage for coins.

Good Alternatives:
Standard 2x2 Coin flips. Get good ones [not from eBay]. They have Mylar and are safe for coins. Easily available in India in any coin exhibition. The flips need stapling to hold then, bad staple pins means they rust and and react with the coin metal. Coin Edges not visible. Use high grade stainless steel staples, change every 5-7 years.

Standard 2x2 Coin flips. Self Adsive, as above. Avoids staples. Need to store them in album else coin pressure will open the Adsive. Don't get in India. Coin Edges not visible.

Mylar Coin Capsule. Expensive. Locks the coin by pressure. Edge is also visible. Don't get in India.

Archival Grade Paper Envelope. Used by Museaums for long term preservation. Acid free. Coin is Not visible. Don't get in India.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 05:41:51 AM »
You will find lot of discussion about coin holders (self adhesive as well as stapled variety) on forum... (How to get them, where to get them in India etc etc)

Aditya

Could you give me a link to them please? I used the keyword album & nothing much showed up. Thanks.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Coin Albums
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 06:02:59 AM »
Could you give me a link to them please? I used the keyword album & nothing much showed up. Thanks.

Try searching 'Holder' instead. ;)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 06:06:48 AM »
Get ride of the paper. Paper is not best storage for coins.

Good Alternatives:
Standard 2x2 Coin flips. Get good ones [not from eBay]. They have Mylar and are safe for coins. Easily available in India in any coin exhibition. The flips need stapling to hold then, bad staple pins means they rust and and react with the coin metal. Coin Edges not visible. Use high grade stainless steel staples, change every 5-7 years.

Thank you for sharing the various methods for storing coins. But at the end of every option. You've mentioned "Don't get in India." So in short the only ones available are the 2x2 coin filps that uses staples. I've heard that the coin looses luster when kept in stapled flips. Personally I'd have gone for Mylar Coin Capsule if there were coin exhibitions near my area. Even though Mylar coin capsules are expensive and good for preservation, the albums always wins when it comes to presentation. What do you think of this album?

http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171260962923&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:IN:1123

This seller suggests "Don`t just collect coins, preserve them for eternity with these coin albums."
What do you think of it. Have you used a similar one?
Get back to me on this. Thanks.

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 06:07:47 AM »
Try searching 'Holder' instead. ;)

Aditya

Right! Thanks for the tip.

Offline natko

• Meritorious Member
  • Split, Croatia
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 11:44:16 AM »
Try to avoid stapling holder as much as you can. Besides, they're ugly.

Leuchtturm and Hartberger are two biggest producers in World I think and you can even get them now from internet directly if not from some dealer in India. I'm sure there are ways.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Coin Albums
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 11:54:17 AM »
Try to avoid stapling holder as much as you can. Besides, they're ugly.

My sentiments exactly. ;D

Leuchtturm and Hartberger are two biggest producers in World I think and you can even get them now from internet directly if not from some dealer in India. I'm sure there are ways.

Major issue is the shipping cost. Leuchtturm for example charges something like €35 for shipping to India... :o

There are no Indian dealers who keep self adhesive holders. I got my holders from a UK based dealer. That was much expensive than what I'd have paid for stapled variety but I really hate the looks of stapled variety so didn't mind paying that much.

Aditya

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 12:40:07 PM »
My sentiments exactly. ;D

Major issue is the shipping cost. Leuchtturm for example charges something like €35 for shipping to India... :o

There are no Indian dealers who keep self adhesive holders. I got my holders from a UK based dealer. That was much expensive than what I'd have paid for stapled variety but I really hate the looks of stapled variety so didn't mind paying that much.

Aditya

Hey Aditya. I guessed the shipping charges to be so, usually more expensive than the product itself. Stapled holders. A big no for me too. What do you  personally think of this album?

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Coin Albums
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 01:04:34 PM »
I'd be hesitant to keep my coins directly in album. Direct contact with plastic (which is likely to contain PVC) of the album will be very dangerous. Some of my coins collected in early days of collecting and which were kept in similar album have been damaged over time. Fortunately they weren't expensive, but still that hurts. :(

Aditya

Offline alwayspete

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 03:14:47 PM »
I'd be hesitant to keep my coins directly in album. Direct contact with plastic (which is likely to contain PVC) of the album will be very dangerous. Some of my coins collected in early days of collecting and which were kept in similar album have been damaged over time. Fortunately they weren't expensive, but still that hurts. :(

Aditya

I forgot to add the link to webpage in my previous post. Here it is.
http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171260962923&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:IN:1123

What do you think of this specific album? Besides 'natko' says right here that the plastic holders these days aren't bad and works fine.

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 04:42:33 PM »
I forgot to add the link to webpage in my previous post. Here it is.

What do you think of this specific album? Besides 'natko' says right here that the plastic holders these days aren't bad and works fine.

Avoid for UNC. These are not good. These albums are OK for beginner to put circulation coins. I have used these and right now its empty ...
Issues:
The plastic is horrible. It sticks like anything in few months.
The coins move and are not stationary, so coins will scratch other coins, and plastic will scratch coins
The luster of coins goes away 100% guarantee.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies