Author Topic: Poland: New 1,2 and 5 grosz have been put into circulation 2014  (Read 6099 times)

Offline MCz

Re: Poland: New 1,2 and 5 grosz have been put into circulation 2014
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2019, 04:22:22 PM »
I'm from Poland and can confirm you that new design 1gr, 2gr and 5gr coins were producent by Royal Mint since 2014 however one milion pieces of test coins were produced in 2013. Due to delay of delivery from Royal Mint in beggining 2014 Polish Mint delivered old version of coins. This means that in 2013 and 2014 all 3 coins were produced in both versions.
Since 2017 production of new version is in Polish Mint (it's called "Warsaw Mint" and it's private company since mamy years), also 10gr, 20gr, 50gr and 1zł have been redesigned.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2019, 12:17:08 PM »
Hello MCz, welcome to World of Coins and thank you for your first contribution. I hope you'll soon feel at home here.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline MCz

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2019, 07:01:00 PM »
I promise to write a little more about polish coins so I'm writing :)
The fact that producing of small nominals is more expensive that their face value is common knowledge since many years. There were a lot of propositions to exclude from circulation 1 and 2 grosze but according the Polish law it should remain. Polish National Bank decided to decrease the cost of production by changing the metal (from steel bronze (MM59) to brass plated steel). Best price for the 3 years contract was offered by Royal Mint, so why this mint produced coins in years 2014-2016. As I wrote before, trial portion delivered in 2014 was with date 2013.
Coins received the redesigned obverse (revers not changed): smaller Eagle, somethinglike circles and of course the Royal Mint mintmark (cross) instead of Polish Mint mintmark (stylised letters: mw). Also the letters looks like were bold.
Cupronickiel & bimmetalic coinswere still produced by Polish Mint in unchanged way.

In 2016 Polish Mint won the next contract for providing coins in next years and production of small coins was back to Poland. What is important, the design changed again: RM mintmark was under the Eagle leg, on rigt side of coin (in the same place was prevoiusly mw mintmark) but on new coins produced in Poland since 2017 mintmark is moved to left side. Also the letters are thinner again.
The mintmark is moved for all nominals, also for cupronickiel. All coins received the common obvers except of bimmetallic 2zł and 5zł which are unchanged since beginning.

Below the link to the all circulation coin designs:
https://www.nbp.pl/homen.aspx?f=/en/banknoty/monety.htm

Second link to the mintage figures (only in Polish but it's table with figures - ease to comprendre... page updated at the beggining of each year for the numbers for prevoius year):
https://www.nbp.pl/home.aspx?f=/banknoty_i_monety/monety_obiegowe/naklady_emisji.html

« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 07:11:54 PM by MCz »

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2019, 08:58:18 PM »
Interesting read! I had forgotten that the Royal Mint also did Polish coins a few years ago. If I am not mistaking it is quite unusual for the Royal Mint to use its cross mintmark on foreign coins.

Offline MCz

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2019, 09:09:44 PM »
Interesting read! I had forgotten that the Royal Mint also did Polish coins a few years ago. If I am not mistaking it is quite unusual for the Royal Mint to use its cross mintmark on foreign coins.

Yes, when I wrote my prevoius post, I wanted to check if this is cross or something other as polish coins produced by RM are very small and this is not well visible without magnifier... but it was not so easy to find coins with this cross mintmark.

ps. eurocoin - I like your posts in UK section (Spain&Portugal for Gibraltar too). I collect coins with QE2 from whole world and usually you are the first who inform about the new releases so I can build my Excel catalogue with QE2 coins without worry that I missed something from UK & teritories.

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2019, 08:36:54 AM »
Yes, when I wrote my prevoius post, I wanted to check if this is cross or something other as polish coins produced by RM are very small and this is not well visible without magnifier... but it was not so easy to find coins with this cross mintmark.

ps. eurocoin - I like your posts in UK section (Spain&Portugal for Gibraltar too). I collect coins with QE2 from whole world and usually you are the first who inform about the new releases so I can build my Excel catalogue with QE2 coins without worry that I missed something from UK & teritories.

Thank you for your kind words  :) I am glad that my efforts are being appreciated, at least by some forum members. Unfortunately governments, mints and coin dealers increasingly start to hinder me in my work to get the latest news about planned coin issues first.