News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

40th Anniversary of Israel: Piedfort Mint Set (1988)

Started by Bimat, March 02, 2014, 09:32:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

A good friend of mine sent me this piedfort set from Israel which also happens to be my first piedfort set. :) (Note the spelling of Piedfort: Piefort) The set was officially issued by Israel Government Coins and Medal Corporation on 40th anniversary of Israel. The set contains the regular Israeli coins dated 1988 (possibly proof?), made of pure nickel and having double thickness than normal Israeli coins. Any idea how many such sets were issued?

Israel has issued a number of piedfort sets for collectors in past few years and they are not hard to find as such. However I do not know why so many piedfort sets have been issued, is there any other example where large number of piedfort sets have been issued for collectors?

Comments welcome! :)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Figleaf

Israeli coins are sold by IGCMC, a government institution whose mandate is to wring as much money as possible out of jews living in other countries, in particular the US, largely playing on the tension between a "duty" to live in Israel and their wish not to. Therefore, they carry as many "products" as possible for a market, that is ready to spend on them for sentimental reasons, not necessarily because they collect coins. They even have medals for loyal buyers, the first instance of loyalty stamps in metal since the co-op tokens.

The saving grace of Israeli coins is intelligent and tasteful design.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Bimat

Thanks Peter, it's indeed clear that sets like this are made only to make money. I wonder why other countries haven't got this wonderful idea to make even more money... ;D ;) Think of a piedfort set from Monaco or Vatican...it would fetch thousands of euros...

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.