Author Topic: German 20 eurocent variety  (Read 3363 times)

Offline a3v1

• Meritorious Member
German 20 eurocent variety
« on: December 22, 2008, 02:16:57 PM »
The variety can bee seen at the horses on top of the Brandenburg Gate.
German 20 eurocents coins up to 2006 all show these horses as they are in reality, with the inner foreleg lifted up.
In 2007 a new engraving was made, representing -wrongly- these horses with the outer foreleg lifted up. Coins of all five Mints dated 2007 and 2008 show this wrong representation of the horses.
It is yet unknown whether there also are 2007 coins with the old -correct- representation of the horses.
Regards,
a3v1   
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

Offline Miguel.mateo

Re: German 20 eurocent variety
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 03:29:40 PM »
I would love to see a picture ...

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 05:05:17 PM »
Here are some pix of a 20 cent (or "eurocents") coin - not mine though. :) Such details are hard to notice and even more difficult to photograph.

http://www.bz-berlin.de/BZ/berlin/2008/08/04/schauen-sie-mal-auf-ihre-20-cent-muenze/schauen-sie-mal-auf-ihre-20-cent-muenze.html
Picture of a "regular" 20 cent piece: http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/images/image8509.gif

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 01:13:37 AM »
Who on earth noticed this tiny detail in the first place?

Reiner Graff from Hönow near Berlin. He does not work at the Berlin (or any other) mint but is a coin collector, focusing on errors and varieties. Also, he participates as "epareiner" in a German coin forum. When this issue came up in August, he posted his news there, along with some photos, even before that newspaper had the story.

Most of us would simply use our eyes to look at a coin, maybe take a loupe from time to time. But I bet there are people, especially among such error collectors, who inspect most of the coins they get very very closely. According to him, both the 10 and 20 cent denominations (but not the 50 cent, it seems) are affected. Must admit that I don't care much - if the mints want to "fix" this "problem", let them do it. If not, phhhh. ;)

Christian
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 01:15:47 AM by chrisild »

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 12:15:30 PM »
Those Prussians, that gate and those horses are far away. ;D  Oh yes, for collectors of "varieties" such finds sure are thrilling. Most others, myself included, would not even notice such differences.

There were mistakes that IMO were worth correcting: On some early German pieces the stars on the national sides were not arranged the way they are positioned on the European Flag but "radially" - those error pieces actually fetch four digit amounts these days. Don't think that many people are willing to pay a lot for the leg error ...

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 09:17:47 PM »
In forums I usually have the location tag "NW · DE · EU"; here it's in my profile. And that reflects to some extent how I think - I am a citizen of the state of North Rhine Westphalian, of the Federal Republic of Germany, and of the European Union. All three are about equally important to me, none of the three has a monocentric political structure, und das ist auch gut so.

Sure I am skeptical when it comes to the "Berlin Republic". But that is not an East-West issue for me, rather a question of how much centralism - in politics, economy, culture, etc. - we need. And yes, in that regard Germany is fortunately very different from Britain or France, and maybe a little more Italian or Spanish. In that regard. :)

Christian
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 09:20:28 PM by chrisild »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 12:41:38 AM »
I am of two minds about this (which doesn't mean I am schizophrenic, Mr. A. de Swann). I like mint mistakes, as they often throw light on their working methods. In this case, for instance, the coin has got me wondering how this could have happened, as I can't believe the die was created from scratch. However, I agree with others that there is a point where the differences become irrelevant. When they cannot be seen with the naked eye any more, are they worthwhile? In this particular case, I'd think I would tend to be interested, if only because the error is a great talking piece. I am happy to see that some collectors will do the checking for me, though. I just don't have the patience to go through my change.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Miguel.mateo

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 03:30:44 AM »
A long discussion (and funny) but I still have seen no pictures of the problem.  In the links posted it is not clear to me.  Can anyone describe where the annomaly is?

Thanks,
Miguel

Offline Miguel.mateo

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 03:31:35 AM »
Is it by any chance that the inside horses are swapped?

Thanks,
Miguel

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 09:39:06 AM »
A long discussion (and funny) but I still have seen no pictures of the problem.  In the links posted it is not clear to me.

You cannot see any pictures of the problem because there is no problem. ;D Frankly, I do not care much about "errors" with legs that, on the coins, are less than half a millimeter long. Here is Reiner's post from a German forum where he shows some macro photos of the differences. http://www.emuenzen.de/forum/556664-20-post.html  Moi, je m'en fous ...

Christian