Phonographic Equipment

Started by malj1, February 21, 2014, 12:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

Yes, see reply 13 where I mention I had this name up to suit this catalogue entry - but later changed it back to the correct name.

You have done well to find a catalogue, its been out of print nearly thirty years! However there are several supplements listing a further eleven types of these PE tokens.

There are a few errors, but only a very few, and these are very minor ones.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

malj1

Quote from: malj1 on February 21, 2014, 12:07:56 PM

...approximately 50,000 mixed types were copper-plated by PRW [an outside company under contract did the plating]...  ...Records were not kept and it is not known where the tokens are now.

I now have one of the copper-plated [on Cu-ni] examples # 306.13
Malcolm

mrbadexample

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can tell me more about these tokens please?

The first appears to be brass, ø24mm, 5.3g. It has the letters P.E. on it - both sides are the same except one is countermarked 25 & 31.

The second is also brass & ø24mm, but slightly heavier at 6.0g. This one only has the letters P.E. on one side, plus the wording "SPECIAL PRIZE NO CASH VALUE". This side is countermarked 32 & 49. On the reverse it has "XXX GOOD FOR MERCHANDISE ONLY".

The third is cupro-nickel or similar, ø20mm & 2.7g. It has 3D and the letters P.E. - both sides are the same.

The fourth is the same as the third, except on the reverse it says: "VALUE IN KIND ONLY"

Any information appreciated.
Many thanks,
MBE

malj1

The letters PE are for Phonographic Equipment a slot machine company. You can now read more above...

The numbers counter-marked into the tokens you have are put there by an arcade owner to be sure the tokens came from his own machines as he would not want to pay out with prizes to people  bringing in tokens from other arcades. Usually this number is the machine's serial number. At some other times a name or initials of the owner is placed on them
Malcolm

mrbadexample

Thanks Malcolm, that's answered all my questions. :) I've had these for a number of years but never known their origins. As I don't collect tokens of this kind, would they be of any use to you?

malj1

Malcolm

FosseWay

I've just acquired a similar token to these PE ones but with PES (no stops) both sides. Brass, c. 22 mm (sorry, not at home so can't scan or measure it accurately).

Is PES related to Phonographic Equipment or is this something completely unconnected?

malj1

PES are the initials of Parking Equipment & Services and as the names suggests they are UK parking tokens.

Parking Equipment & Services Ltd
P E S House
17 Deer Park Road
London

Later issues included the full name and came in various sizes; also other types were caused by the telephone number changing over the years.

Malcolm

FosseWay

Excellent, thank you!

I have the later one you show (which can be dated with the 0181 phone number). Mine looks earlier, possibly 60s or 70s. Now I know where to file it  8)

malj1

Several other types can be seen on my page here with the exception of just one type that I have been seeking for many years without success. This one type has the font in upper case and the large P centrally followed by a smaller PES, brass 25mm.
Malcolm

malj1

Quote from: malj1 on March 10, 2016, 10:39:42 PM
The letters PE are for Phonographic Equipment a slot machine company. You can now read more above...

An advert for their stand at the 1963 Amusement Trades Exhibition in London
Malcolm

bhx7

So I have started to put together a sort of family group of tokens as these companies have merged, been bought out or simply renamed. The group consists of R&W (Ruffler and Walker), P.E (Phonographic Equipment Company), PRW(Phonographic Ruffler & Walker), ALL (Associated Leisure Group Ltd), RANK and finally GAMESTEC.

I am adding to them all bit by bit. This is an interesting one and I am wondering if someone can confirm its use. It was listed as a London River Boat Token

Thanks

africancoins

The type including the stamping "PIER" to each side (including on the raised rectangular area) was listed by Hayes before 1990. Being a scarce type, it could have been around a few years before being listed.

"PIER" will relate to the token being used at an amusements place on a certain pier.... likely a coastal place.

As for "London River Boat Token" - rather unlikely. Or could there have been amusement machines on such a boat ? But still a boat is not a pier.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

malj1

Yes I agree most likely one of the many seaside piers. Llisted as Hayes 307.9

See also The RiverBus Partnership this only lasted a short time with tokens issued in 1990 and 1991 only
Malcolm

bhx7

Thank you Gents

What I expected really. Bought it as I liked it being a little different with the counterstamp to the standard ones.
Nice to see you back Mal  ;D

Cheers
Brian